Useage of 2 routers at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.

slayerduck

Solid State Member
Ey,

I got a Sitecom router and a SMC Wireless 108mbits router. The question is, can i use both the routers at the same time? I wish to use the Sitecom as my primary router.

Also, do i need to buy anything els for them to work together? I got a normal Cat.5E cable.

you mean use the other router as a switch / wireless point? if you do then yes you can use them at the same time!

the only thing you will need to do is to disable DHCP / DNS / NAT and Routing on you SMC router (disabling DHCP is essential and NAT is certainly helpful to disable)

How do i connect them together? Can i use port 4 on my Sitecom and connect it to port 1 on my wireless?

Or do i need to put it in the WAN ? Not to mention. In the future i might want to use the other ports on my wireless also. And how will i get internet on my wireless from the sitecom?

Hi,

The best way is to use a cross-over cable and connect the LAN port together.

Your wireless router will act as an access point, while your Sitecom is the NAT router that provide you the shared Internet.

you can use a croseover like LAW said or a standard network cable works for me!

just connect a network cable to one of the lan ports on your sitecom to one on your SMC then just disable the NAT and DHCP on your SMC and make sure wireless is enabled! I think that is about it, then it should work (you can also use the wired ports on the back of the SMC as you suggested!

Hey, it worked XD. I put a cross-cable between them. and i can see my wireless notebook on the Sitecom router. The Sitecom seems te be giving out the IP (As it should do right?)

Im glad this worked, i just got one more question about wireless as im new whit it. I got a 108Mbits Wireless router and a 108Mbits cardbus card. But on my laptop it shows as a 54Mbits ?
This is no big deal really, as my notebook is already pretty old. and the HD prob cant even get the speed. (I tested it, 2MB/s upload and 2.4MB/s down) But i just wonder why it shows up as a 54 and not 108

P.S what is RIP (Routing Information Protocol) ? What does it do? Cause i put that on also, on both routers

it could be that your PCIMCIA Cardbus does not support the faster protocal, so you are only able to get 54mb/sec if your laptop is old

RIP is a routing protocol, basically what it does is share routing information with it's adjacent neighbor (when you have a router to router connection) about network that is directly connected to it.

You don't really need it as a home user, as a matter of fact it's a waste of bandwidth enabling it. You would only enable it when you have a setup like the example below (using RIPv2).

Router1 WAN interface is connected to Router2 WAN interface
Router1 WAN<-------------------->Router2 WAN

R1 WAN: 192.168.0.1 /30<------------------> R2 WAN: 192.168.0.2 /30
R1 LAN: 192.168.1.0 /24____________R2 LAN: 192.168.2.0 /24

R1 needs to know that network 192.168.2.0 is at 192.168.0.2 or out it's WAN interface.
R2 needs to know that network 192.168.1.0 is at 192.168.0.1 or out it's WAN interface.

Therefore you'll use RIP since it's dynamic and doesn't require much administrative assistant when the network changes or the topology compare to setting a static route.

Well, the sitecom has RIPv1 and the SMC can use 1 and 2. Guess its no use as thay will use RIPv1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom