Use non-DDWRT router as wireless AP for Ethernet network

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalcProgrammer1

Fully Optimized
Is this possible? I have a Netgear WGT624v3 that I want to use as an AP for the college LAN. Our dorm has both a wired (Ethernet) connection and a wireless (WiFi WPA) connection. However, the two do not appear to be connected locally, so I cannot access network shares on my desktop from my laptop when they are on different connections. I usually plug my laptop into my switch because of this. However, I have a router I'm not using and want to set it up to allow wireless devices to connect to the LAN and share with wired PC's.

Here is the setup.
Code:
                      [PC]
[wall]-------[switch]<  [PC]
                      <  [XBOX 360]
                        < [ROUTER (WAN PORT)] ))) [wireless PC's]

I want the router to simply be an extension of the existing network, which already has DHCP and such. I disabled DHCP on my router but now my PC can't even get to Internet pages and definitely not other PC's. I can only get to the access page.

Never mind, got it working, you have to disable the router's internal DHCP server and then plug the LAN cord into one of the LAN ports (NOT the WAN port). Now I'm accessing the LAN over WiFi.

Yes, using the 624 as a switch is the easiest way. Either that or static routes between the two segments to allow communication. But that would require access to the entity behind the "wall" in your ascii art ;)
"pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!" hehehe

Since the man behind the wall is the IT department who just sent me an email that said they wanted to disable my old laptop because it didn't have an admin password...I don't think there will be too much cooperation behind there.

...seriously, if I don't want security junk wasting away the little processing power my old P3 has, let it get hacked, I honestly don't care. Forcing me to keep my PC secure is like forcing people to lock their doors, forcing people to own a safe, forcing people to install security alarms, etc, it's just ridiculous.

hehehe, send him an email back saying "oh my goodness! Thanks so much, i totally forgot that I had no password on my admin account! I just changed it to "12345" so it is all good now." lol
I'm sure that the intentions of the IT guys email from "beyond the wall" are completely harmless but yea, I agree, I translate those emails as "weeeeeee, look at me! Look at what I can do!" hehehehe
of course, that's just me...i just feel that, unless asked an opinion related to "how can I better my security" people should mind their own business.

Same....I made the password "ihatepasswords" and the clue is I HATE PASSWORDS!!!!!!!!. I should've just named the stupid thing "HACK_ME" and put it on the network to see what would happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom