usb VPN to ISP - W2k and XP to access web ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redmike

Beta member
In a nutshell ..

My ISP requires a log in and password, when connceting via cable.
Their floppy disk sets up a VPN via USB
Neither my XP or W2k machines can access the ISP via their modem using a network card and RJ45

My two machines can see each other on the network but if one logs in using USB then the other can't access the Internet.

How do I get both of them online at the same time ?

I have a router.

Internet sharing ?

thanks

Mike

you say you have a router, but have you tried using it? you can have one machine plugged into the modem with USB while the rest of the machines must be plugged into the router's built-inswitch. the modem must be plugged into the WAN port on the router. if you could give me model numbers of the router and modem that would be nice.

wow this is an active forum !! My first time here :)

At the moment the XP machine is connected via it's USB to the modem and also connected to the router via RJ45. The W2K is connected to the router. They are using numbers 1 & 2. The modem is plugged into the WAN.

The modem is connected to both RJ45 and USB sockets.

I will try and give you more info on the modem which was supplied by the ISP - all it has written on it is "made in Taiwan :) :-(

The router is a Billion Broadway Firewall Gateway and has the number 0004ed03049e and I can get you more info on that if it will help you.

Both machines can see each other via the router and either (if I switch the USB cable over) can access the web. Both will attempt to access the ISP if I hit on the VPN connect button when the USB cabke is unplugged but both give a no can do response.

thanks,

Michael

Start from scratch. Just to make it a little easier....get rid of the USB connection. This will only complicate the setup.
Follow this makeshift setup:
Modem's RJ45 port ---> Router's WAN or Internet port.
Router's port 1 ---> First PC's network card
Router's port 2 ---> Second PC's network card.

Before trying the steps below, make sure that you have both PCs set to automatically receive an IP address...make sure you do not have one already in place.

Power off both PCs. Power off the router (you may have to unplug it). Now power off the modem (unplug it) and leave it off for 30 seconds. Power the modem back on. Leave it run by itself for a little bit. Watch the lights go through some sort of sequence. When the modem seems to be ready, (give it a minute just to be sure), power on the router. Give it about 20 seconds and then power on the first PC.....Make sure that you can get on the internet....then power on the second PC....and give the 2nd a whirl.

-Mike

Bingo ! Both PC's are now on line without using the USB. I think that having the USB plugged in (I was told that this was essential - a normal kind of misinformation that one one unfortuately often gets) may have caused the problem, but whatever it was all is now honky dory. Many thanks and may all the problems that you solve be so simple !!

regards,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom