USB modem stick.....cannot share internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tackman

Beta member
I have a USB modem stick, which is plugged into my desktop PC. Once the connection was established, I turned on ICS, connected my netgear wireless router to the PC using a straight cable, setup the router properly, and then checked the internet through the router using both, a cable connected to my laptop, and wireless. Both worked fine. However, after a short while, the router stopped transmitting. The net was still working on my PC though, but for some reason, my laptop wasnt receiving any net. This happened several times. I feel it has something to do with the IP changing on my internet, but I have DHCP enabled on the router, so it should not be an issue, right?
Help please. How can i ensure uninterrupted internet to my laptop through the router?

If its any help, the desktop is running Win XP SP2, and laptop is on Win 7 Home premium.

OK sounds like for whatever reason your laptop is losing wireless signal... If your desktop is working fine being plugged in then my guess would be something on your laptop side.. Give me more information about the laptop disconnecting..

Does it drop connection while your in the middle of using it? Can you re create the issue or is it just random?

Its not random. It happens every time. And I can tell its not my laptop, because laptop works fine at the office with wifi. It used to work fine at home as well, back when I had dsl. I had to switch to this USB modem a short while ago and have had this issue since then.

The desktop has the USB plugged in, and if there is a slight signal outage, the net will disconnect on the desktop, but will come right back up. But it doesnt come right back on the laptop. It seems like the IP changes, and for some reason, the wireless router isnt able to pick up the changed IP. Very frustrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom