Upgrade to wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crysalis

Systems Engineer
Hey all, i got a question. I currently have a networked computer system of about 3 pc's and 2 laptops. It all works great... broadband internet... the whole works. Anyways, one of the laptops has the wireless receiver built in (as most do now) and I want to start using it. I know how to setup networks and such, i just wanna find the best way of doing this.

Currently, the broadband modem/router (2wire homeportal) is connected to one of the pc's through ethernet. The rest of the pc's/laptops are connected through the phoneline with PCI adapter cards or USB adapter. The homeportal has a USB jack and the ethernet jack (which is being used). What would be the best way of going about installing a wireless router? The homeportal doesn't have the wireless transmitter built in, so i have to buy the router.

Any suggestions? I was thinking of trying to set the PC up with the USB port and not use the ethernet anymore... instead use the ethernet to send to the wireless router. Would that work out?

EDIT: I'm thinking of getting this "kit" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16833122052

Even though one laptop has the receiver built in, the other one doesn't so the extra card would be useful. The only thing i'm wondering about is if this "kit" is only made to work with each other... as in will the router still send out signal to computers other than the one that has the card?

Crysalis said:
Hey all, i got a question. I currently have a networked computer system of about 3 pc's and 2 laptops. It all works great... broadband internet... the whole works. Anyways, one of the laptops has the wireless receiver built in (as most do now) and I want to start using it. I know how to setup networks and such, i just wanna find the best way of doing this.

Currently, the broadband modem/router (2wire homeportal) is connected to one of the pc's through ethernet. The rest of the pc's/laptops are connected through the phoneline with PCI adapter cards or USB adapter. The homeportal has a USB jack and the ethernet jack (which is being used). What would be the best way of going about installing a wireless router? The homeportal doesn't have the wireless transmitter built in, so i have to buy the router.

Any suggestions? I was thinking of trying to set the PC up with the USB port and not use the ethernet anymore... instead use the ethernet to send to the wireless router. Would that work out?

EDIT: I'm thinking of getting this "kit" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16833122052

Even though one laptop has the receiver built in, the other one doesn't so the extra card would be useful. The only thing i'm wondering about is if this "kit" is only made to work with each other... as in will the router still send out signal to computers other than the one that has the card?

Buy a wireless router, cable it to your DSL modem, install wireless adapters on all the comptuers, and off you go. Pretty simple.

Speed is another issue, get 802.11G rated adapters, so you can get the best speed with your 802.11G router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom