Unstable WiFi for months. Can't find the cause.

BalBB

Beta member
Hi folks, this one has been a pain in the buttocks for months now. I've researched and looked through hundreds of posts regarding this issue but to no avail.

The issue is unstable wifi connection. All wireless devices in my house face an unstable connection. At one point it'll be the average speed that I get from my ISP, and the next minute it'll drop to less than 1mbps or no connection at all. The desktop does not have this problem as it is connected directly via ethernet. Direct connections don't seem to have this problem, which leaves wifi the culprit.

This problem started last November when I switched from Rogers to CIKTelecom. After the switch, I started having that problem which lead me to believe that the issue is with the service from the company itself. They tried everything to fix the problem, however, no solution was found. I kept their service for about two months and and then decided to switch back to Rogers. I believed my problem would go away by switching back to Rogers. After all, I was with them before and the wifi worked flawlessly. Unfortunately, I still receive unstable wifi.

I'm not an expert but I would say I am usually good with internet related problems. However, this is something I have never encountered and has been impossible for me to find a solution to.

I've done the typical modem/router resets and power offs. I've changed the wifi channels and encryption types. With CIKTelecom, I had a modem and a router. After switching to Rogers, I have just a modem with a built in router. The change in the modem rules out the possibility of the modem or router being at fault. The wires connected to the modem (cable, ethernet) have been the same from when I had no problems.

This problem started when I switched to CIKTelecom from Rogers. I have never had stable wifi since.

I appreciate every answer. Thank you!

** The proximity to the router has nothing to do with it because it happens while I am right beside it. I receive high 90% signals but still get unstable connections.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom