Unstable Internet when more people on same Switch

Yes, we are. World of Warcraft. It only happens on that game, too. I figured it was just because other games don't disconnect because of it.

Maybe you are right!

Got any tips?

You need to get into your router's settings.

From there, you can now use any address from 192.168.1.2 thrrough 192.168.1.254 for your devices (192.168.1.255 is the broadcast address, don't use it). You can use anything you want for all your devices. It's just *helpful* if you use some sort of order. Minimally, every device will need a unique IP, subnet mask (255.255.255.0), gateway IP (the IP address of the router), and DNS servers (usually determined by your ISP, although some routers will act as a DNS server/relay, so using the router's IP may be appropriate in those cases).

I'm not exactly sure how to do all of this with a switch, but if you're able to purchase a router, there are tools online and in the manual (usually) that can help you get about this fix. The big issue is, if you're playing on the same server, your packets are probably getting sent to the same ip address, even though you're all playing on different computers. Your switch is getting flooded with certain packets for one ip, and then packets for another, and might be causing the errors and disconnects. I'd do a search under the WoW support site with the keywords something like: "multiple computers on the same ip" or "disconnect issues" "multiple users on switch" etc. It's probably going to take some digging.

Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom