Unstable Internet Connection.. HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat_Returns

Baseband Member
the problem i am having with my internet is spikes. When i run internet speed tests such as Internet Speed Test - Broadband, DSL Bandwidth Connection Check , i get rather high internet speed rate (supposedly T2), but when i watch movies, play online games etc, the internet suddenly has a huge drop in speed then picks back up then drops again etc. Its rather annoying.

Our house has internet on the jacks like so ImageShack - Hosting :: dd07771afc9ays5.jpg all over the house where we just plug in our ethernet cord to. We have about 3-4 computers going at all time and i am guessing this might be whats causing it.

What can we do to stop this spiking? do i need to get a faster internet plan?

This is most likely a server issue, and not an issue on your part. Most public servers have a lot of users on them simultaneously, and can't keep up with the demand. Go to internetfrog.com or auditmypc.com and run the speedtest. What is the QOS (Quality of Service)?

This is most likely a server issue, and not an issue on your part. Most public servers have a lot of users on them simultaneously, and can't keep up with the demand. Go to internetfrog.com or auditmypc.com and run the speedtest. What is the QOS (Quality of Service)?

I checked both sites out and they did not have a specific QOS testing... but i did use the VOIP testing on internetfrog and got very unstable readings. At points it was going up to 1mb per sec then dropped down to 70 kb per sec. this is definitely spiking... now what can i do to make this better?

Is this our fault for having too much bandwidth usage under one house? or is this something that is not normal?

It could be due to the fact that you have so many PC's access the net at one time. It could be that the wiring is getting interference. Did you do the hardwiring of the wall jacks yourself or did the house already come that way? If it already came that way you cant be sure that they took any measure to make sure that the internet cabels were sealed off from getting interference from any other devices or cables running in the wall.

I checked both sites out and they did not have a specific QOS testing... but i did use the VOIP testing on internetfrog and got very unstable readings. At points it was going up to 1mb per sec then dropped down to 70 kb per sec. this is definitely spiking... now what can i do to make this better?

Is this our fault for having too much bandwidth usage under one house? or is this something that is not normal?

It seems to me like you're on a cable connection (Who is your ISP?). Cable connections will never give you a constant speed. Because so many users in a neighborhood use a 'central hub' for access. (Example : I pay for 8Mb/s download speeds, at peak hours, such as 3-4p.m. (when schools let out, kids get on the internet), I get MAYBE 1Mb/s, sometimes lower. During slower times, I can get up to 25Mb/s, usually around 4-5a.m., everyone in my neighborhood is sleeping.) There is a possibility that it is a fault on your part, from having several computers on the connection, unplug each of them, and see if the service gets better for one computer. If it gets better, it definitely may be a fault on you, but there's still the possibility that you have a cable connection (which is what I am assuming), and it's just the usage that people have in your area.

It seems to me like you're on a cable connection (Who is your ISP?). Cable connections will never give you a constant speed. Because so many users in a neighborhood use a 'central hub' for access. (Example : I pay for 8Mb/s download speeds, at peak hours, such as 3-4p.m. (when schools let out, kids get on the internet), I get MAYBE 1Mb/s, sometimes lower. During slower times, I can get up to 25Mb/s, usually around 4-5a.m., everyone in my neighborhood is sleeping.) There is a possibility that it is a fault on your part, from having several computers on the connection, unplug each of them, and see if the service gets better for one computer. If it gets better, it definitely may be a fault on you, but there's still the possibility that you have a cable connection (which is what I am assuming), and it's just the usage that people have in your area.

ic. this is pretty ridiculous. Jumping from 1mps to 60 kbs and such. I think i will have a talk with my internet provider

ic. this is pretty ridiculous. Jumping from 1mps to 60 kbs and such. I think i will have a talk with my internet provider

If it's cable, there won't be much that they are obligated to do. They most likely did not say you would have a constant downstream of speed package you pay for. (Most providers say, Speeds up to 6/8/10/15/20mbps) If you have a separate phone provider, they MAY offer DSL that is up to par with your cable connection, and that would give you a constant downstream. It would most likely cost more than your current service though. I switched from DSL (Which I liked), to cable (which I'm not liking the greatest) and I personally don't see why people say cable is better than DSL...

Cable is better depending on your area. I am in a area where there is few if any people on cable. My speeds are faster then they ever were. I can max a download at 10Mb/s when my connection is only rated at 4Mb/s. My upload speed is over 1Mb/s which i have never seen before. At my old place where Cable was abundant the speeds were lucky to be half of that.

It all depends on your demographic. If cable is the most widely used connection then yes. It will seem slow. Cause cable is a shared connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom