The Unsolved Networking Mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chase

CECS Major
For a very long time I have searched everywhere I know on how to share one thing on a wirless network. Dial-up. I do not have broadband available in my area so I am stuck with it. Anyway, before ten thousand people post "...dial-up will be incredibly slow over 56k..." I want to voice that it dosn't matter to me. I am only going to use the wireless dial-up sharing for alternating to computers without modems. So, with no further adue, I must ask the question:

How can I share my wireless dial-up without a special router? I currently have a linksys B router, a desktop with a wireless card, and a laptop with a wireless card. (the desktop is the one connected to the router). I know that it is possible because you can share dial-up over a wired network and it's just like data sharing. All and any help will be greatly appreciated.

FAQ-
::-Do cards see each other?
-Yes, I have pinged from both ends and each see each other fine

::-Are your firewalls off, including the built in XP firewall?
-Yes

::-Chase-::

Have tried that. Dosn't work. I set my wireless card to internet conncection sharing but it does nothing on my laptop. I tried to ping some sites like google on it after internet sharing was enabled and got back no replies.-

I've done the same thing, except -- we have AOL, and they make it a little bit more of a pain (ICS isn't even possible with it)... not sure if it relates, but the only way around it I found was by using a proxy on the desktop... then everything worked fine, although it's a pain if you go back and forth between a non-proxy network. Also having some applications not be configurable for them...tunnels!

I cannot wait for high speed here--they say it should be any day now...:X

I'm not much of a network junkie, so if it's not a ton to ask you, could you give me some simple and detailed instructions to do what you are talking about? Thanks for the help-

try changing the default gateway to the router ip or to the main computer ip (which has internet connection). This should be done on the client computer

Make sure your router has DHCP turned off...

Right-click on the Properties of the Dial up connection and choose to enable ICS.

Or D/L a Proxy of CNET or something like that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom