University Port Scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iantosca

In Runtime
My school has pretty much blocked every port imaginable. I did a port scan and it said only 5 out of 65535 ports were open.

I'm not sure that this is possible. Is the port scanner I'm using bunk, or is my school really that anal about security?

By the way, the port scan was encouraged by my inability to connect to IRC.

For a University atmosphere, what ports do you really need open? I know if I was a university I would block all but a few ports. I'll bet they are that 'anal' about security, and that your port scanner is working just fine.

Your scan is probably correct. Unless there is a specific need for a port, you can shut them all down and only enable those that are needed. It's actually a very good security schema. Now, there is the remote chance that they are just blocking your port scan as well. Since most IT people that work in the U's are just "geeks" (and I say that without malice) looking for things to do, I would think that they are setting up a pretty decent protection system. Just to make thing tough... it's like being a bully more or less, only they use a Computer.
Anyway, there are serveral things for you to try. First, make a request to use port x for irc. see if they let you. Also, identify the switches and routers that are being used in the U. Fromt here you can start to work backwards if you really just want to "hack" your way through. Also, try using a webproxy. They sometimes work for getting around the local protection.

Thanks for the input. They won't open the port because they believe it to be a security risk. I believe their bullies but the more sensible side of me understands their concern. Anyway, looks like I'm gonna try the proxy. Thanks for the input fellas. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom