University internet doesn't load youtube videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

mypcbroke

Baseband Member
Hi guys,

Since I have moved in to the on campus housing the internet has been pretty awful. However sometimes it is good and it will load web pages fast and let me play games like CS:S with 5 ping. However when I load youtube videos they get to a bout 1/20th of the bar until it just stops loading completely. Refresh doesn't work either. Once in a blue moon the video will load though.

This happens both with the wireless router and with direct port connection straight from my computer to the plug in the wall. It's really annoying.

Anyone know what could be the problem and how I could fix it?

It's more than likely something they have on campus; a sort of QoS / filtering service. It's most likely throttling you back for high-bandwidth usage so it doesn't impact other students doing low-bandwidth tasks (like browsing webpages and such). I know when I lived on campus at my school, YouTube videos would load very very slowly.

Have you tried taking it off campus to a different internet source (if your computer is a laptop, that is)? Just to make sure it's not an actual computer problem, and more than likely something with the school. Could also try contacting your school's help desk and asking them if such a filter or QoS (quality of service) measure is in place.

can you download realdownloader (it's a program that will download flash movies, it's from realnetworks, the people that made realplayer) and check to see if it will download the videos?

It's more than likely something they have on campus; a sort of QoS / filtering service. It's most likely throttling you back for high-bandwidth usage so it doesn't impact other students doing low-bandwidth tasks (like browsing webpages and such). I know when I lived on campus at my school, YouTube videos would load very very slowly.

Have you tried taking it off campus to a different internet source (if your computer is a laptop, that is)? Just to make sure it's not an actual computer problem, and more than likely something with the school. Could also try contacting your school's help desk and asking them if such a filter or QoS (quality of service) measure is in place.

I've come to realize the internet here just sucks, actually. Not just for youtube videos; even web pages are barely loading these days. At different locations it works excellent. I just moved here and back home I never had issues. The only QoS I could dig up was 1 gb bandwidth limit which when surpassed would put a limit on my connection...hopefully playing counter-strike source a few times didn't throttle down my speed.

@ remixedcat: the download speeds here are awful but that may help, even though I don't wish to download every video I view...I might just have to.

Considering you're sharing a few incoming pipes of bandwidth with however many students and faculty are on campus and using the internet... it's going to be slow. My university is the same way. That many people getting on to various things that can take up high bandwidth will slow everyone down.

It could also just be a crazy amount of usage throughout the campus right now. People are just moving in, getting settled, viewing all of their stuff online most likely. No doubt a butt load of activations and so forth. Everyone from cable providers to ISP's are no doubt bogged right now. My guess is it won't stay like this but the Network Admins need some time to figure out where the slow down is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom