Uninstalled TCP/IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echo Kilo

Baseband Member
So I uninstalled TCP/IP and when I restarted the computer, ALL the network connections were gone!

The computer now takes forever to boot up.

How do I get them back?

the device properties dialog wont show you which protocols are installed. You have to open the network connection properties.

9x pc: right click network neighborhood, click properties, click add, select Microsoft in left pane, double click tcpip.

me/2k/xp: right click my network places, click properties, right click the network connection (should be labeled Local Area Connection), click properties, click install, double click protocol, double click tcpip

is there a network adapter in device manager (in system properties)? If not, try reseating the card. If its integrated with the mobo, check bios settings for onboard nic.

Try this:

1) Go to Start Menu -> RUN
2) Type "command" click OK
3) IN the new window that pops up type this "NETSH INTERFACE IP RESET LOG.TXT"
This should reset your TCP/IP parameters allowing you to connect again.

Echo Kilo said:
It was indeed a hardware error.

Does it work now? I too am curious what prompted to remove the protocol?:D Yea you can always tell its a hardware problem when you know you should have a network connection in the network properties tab and see nothing there :)

Well, it wasn't working at all. I had the basic Dynamic TCP settings on the computer , connected to a router with DHCP and it wouldn't get an IP Address.

I thought maybe something wasn't taking so I removed TCP/IP. When I restarted, there was no Protocols at all - None.

I couldn't firgure out anyway to add them back and that's when I took it in and had the card replaced. At that point, it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom