Uncommon Networking methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
FLying hover cars... Come on. I need these. Who want to drive on snow when you can fly in a hover car without the ice...

These products are cool, but rather out of date, their speeds are slow, and eventhough they are simple to install, so is a wireless system. I think if anything, we need to find a way to have wireless power, so laptops can truley be wireless.
I have used the phone networking, and it really isn't all that good. Had a lot of dropped packets when moving files between machines and was not pleased with the speed at all.

The power line option is pretty cool, but as stated before, there are still too many cons to the pros. The only thing about it that I could like, is that if the power companies thought about the potential, they could become our ISPs. I think I remember something about a power company doing that a while back. Last year maybe. Have to see if I can find that. Anyway, they were offering much higher speeds right from their power lines. Simular to cable modem, but using the powerline to carry the signal.
who knows...

Oberjaeger said:
Well, using electrical wiring as a network is great and all, but what if you're living in a shack without electricity?

No problem! Just use the tried and tested (no, honestly, it's been tested and it works)
CPIP - Carrier Pigeon Internet Protocol.
You only get speed of 0.08bps though...
Or, if there's too many cats in your neighbourhood causing packet loss try TCP/IP over Bongo Drums.

man, those people have wayyyyyyyy too much time on their hands, lol and, btw you cant get 10mbps with phone line, you are only using 2 pairs (4 wires) in phone cable, and even IF you had a cat5 phone cable, you couldnt run at 10mbps with half the wires

dethangel - "...and even IF you had a cat5 phone cable..."

hmm u can use cat5 cable for ur phone? i would imagine u could but it would require allot of modding, or is thier like a phone that u can use to plug into the cat5 wire.... that still access the local area phone lines?

cat5 or 5e will work for fones.... it all depends what the other end (*i.e. the cabinet*) end of the wire is plugged into...
You can split the wires 2 pair for enet, other two pair for fone...
thats Y if ur gonna run a wire thru your house, it may as well be cat5e.
Caller ID is really fast on fiber though (*it comes up on the display even before the fone rings!!!*) ha?

So could i replace all the telephone wire'ing in my house with cat5... and ide still be able to run my telephones and network through the same line?... or would the network be slow because of the fact that it doesnt use all of the wires because the telephone is usen them?... or could i use all the wires for both and then just get a sound filter like they use with adsl?

Run fiber though the whole house and then spend the 50G's on the switches and all of the tools needed to splice the lines in...but it's so fast... must resist

If you run CAT5e you are Golden. If you are remodeling (like I just did) make sure to put conduit in place so that you can easily run different lines in the future. Using phone and data on the same line (CAT5 +) cause no problems... have at it...

Great Links A_Zip1. It's a very unique approach, compared to what is done these days.

Did you try it? Did it work?

From PC World :

If some radio operators have their way, broadband Internet access may never travel over power lines. Ham radio operators and at least one U.S. federal agency contend that the emerging technology interferes with their radio signals.

Perhaps arkansas will never get to the internet. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom