Uncommon Networking methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A_Zip1

In Runtime
Hey i was just like lookin up on the net like different ways of networking and to ways that ive like never heard about our, through your wall electricity outlet, and through your household phoneline... i heard you can get up to 10mbps through your house hold phone line [like transfer rates between the computers]... you just have to buy the adapters and what not, but yeah have you guys ever heard of, or used, these methods of networking?

Sure, we use it everyday and it's almost overlooked!

Compare having 2 PCs in different rooms, but connected by a cable through the wall. You can share files, printers, internet connection, etc. on these two PCs right? Now think about a phone line. You do the same thing when you have a couple of phones in different rooms sharing a phone line.
The cabling is even similar. You need to be careful about doing this. The cable may already be there but I seriously doubt you have CAT5 running through house for your phones. Not that you need CAT5 for computer networking, but it has become the standard. Although, the type of cabling used for your phone line (most likely CAT3) can be used for networking....this type of cable is meant for voice and telephony applications and interfaces. I don't think you'll like the results when you try to use this for common PC networking. But, if you'd like, just snip the RJ-11 adapter you have on the phone line and then strip the cable. Then crimp the RJ-45 adapter on the cable and make sure that you are pairing pins 1 & 2 and also 3 & 6. These are the send and receive pins. If I have a cabling job, then I usually use the phone lines in place as a guide and then I follow these lines around the house and use a similar "drop-point" when I need to bring it down to an outlet.

-Mike

no.. i dont think you undestand what im talken about, i was reading this thing and u can like buy these adapters that like u take ur phone line then plug it into this thing, then plug that thing into you USB port [on sum of them it is parrallel port :S], then u just do that on the other computers to, i was wondering if anyone has done that before>... and what thier results were.

Oh I see, the thing that says you can plug the thing into the other thing??
LOL
I'm just messin' around.
This sounds interesting though! Are you going to try it out?
If so, let me know how it turns out!

-Mike

i've read about phoneline and powerline, they don't sound too great. besides the low speed, im not sure but there is something that makes me not trust them (paranoia?).

the item you showed us is refurb, maybe it fried the previous owners equipment? to me it sounds like a dumb idea to be tapping into your phone lines and power, i have no basis for this, it just does not seem right.

yea thats what i was thinken... thats why i posted it here, cuz i wasnt sure if people have had good expieriences with it, or bad.... the specs that i was reading said it could run from 10mbps - 14 mbps... personnally i think that is pretty good, but yeah i also heard that like when u use ur power allot [ie: turn on the washing machine... et.] that it substantially lowers it ur connection speed.

Powerline networking goes back to gee the wire is already there.
It has some very interesting applications when you start thinking about home automation... Everything is plugged into the electric lines.

How else would you be able to for example, start the dishwasher from work?

but who would load the dishwasher? get your wife to load the dishes and use your $2000 automation system to start the washer? home automation is a crazy man's fantasy that has no practical application. it's up there with flying hover cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom