UnBind tcp/ip from MS networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvel

In Runtime
I cannot find documentation that explains how to unbind tcp/ip from Client for Microsoft Network and File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Network. If someone can explain this area it would be great. Also consider the point of using MS Network without binding to tcp/ip. Thanks.
OS is XP-Pro, all updates are current.

Go into your Network and Dial-Up settings. Right click on the LAN connection that you wish to configure and goto properties. Locate TCP/IP and then uncheck it or uninstall it. Any particular reason? You'll have to install some other protocol before you'll be able to use the PC on a network after uninstalling TCP/IP....

Thanks Mike, I want to drop tcp/ip bind from Microsoft networks and file sharing to protect from internet intrusion. I have unticked them in the network settings. I still have tcp/ip support to the internet which will always remain. If unticking the block next to the items in question drops tcp/ip bind then good, I have what is needed for now. Later I will want to return and enable MS networks and filesharing but not with a tcp/ip bind. I hope I am explaining OK here.
I do have firewall and other protecting for the system and would like to share some devices but not with the outside world.
Last night I got hit with the w32/netsky- worm and McAfee handled it really well. Hence I am reviewing my security and checking on options. Thanks again.

Oh OK....good enough reason then ;)
Yea, just enable file/print sharing through NetBEUI.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom