Unable to use Bittorrent,Kazaa,etc. Everything else works..

Status
Not open for further replies.

mert

Beta member
I recently purchased a new computer..for those wondering these are the stats:

DFI Lanparty UT nfroce 3 250gb mobo
1 gig ocz premier 3200 ram
bfg geforce 6800 oc video card
amd athlon 64 3200+ proc
windows xp home w/ service pack 2

Now onto my problem. Ever since I got it, I have not been able to utilize any Bittorrents or file sharing networks such as Kazaa. My internet is working fine, I can connect to IE with no problem, as well as MSN. On MSN I can send/recieve files without a problem, and I can download things off the internet as well. The only problem occurs with the file sharing.

I'm pretty sure I have no spyware, I am not running a firewall such as Norton, and have disabled the Service Pack 2 firewall. What could the problem be?

Note: If I hook up my old computer, it works fine, so its not a problem with my modem. Also I am on Cogecco Cable internet...if that is relevant in any way.

Thanks for any help.

if you have a router, it should have a firewall inside. i need to open ports 6881-6999 for bittorrent
kazaa is 1214 i think

Oh yea I forgot to mention I'm directly hooked up to my modem. No router.

your problem isn't with a router or anything like that. Your problem is more than likely Service pack 2. I had the exact same problem. For some odd reason, sp2 doenst allow p2p networks like that to use some ports. You have to manually go in and allow the ports to be used. After that things should be up and running.

If you don't want to go that route by doing it manually, try WinMX. It automatically opens them up.

Hinrichisgod I think you might be right. Where could I find WinMX and how would I use it (or is it simple?).

Thanks btw.

Its a very simple program to use. my internet is acting really slow for some reason, so it would take forever for me to give you a link. But just google WinMX and you should find it easilty...glad I could help.

mert, your problem will be SP2 related, i can almost 100% guarantee it!

There are SP2 fixes, search google and you will find patches. MS don't like you using p2p software :) You'll find they have locked down all the ports that p2p protocols use.

For BitTorrent, try BitComet as you can set it to select a random port.

Tell us how you get on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom