Unable to connect to internet (tried everything)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ookami

Solid State Member
My main computer decideded to stop connecting to the internet for no reason the other day, so I tried checking for viruses and malware and found nothing, did all the basic network connection checking and everything seemed fine, then I tried reinstalling the drivers. That didn't work so I tried reinstalling windows, only to get stuck with the activation crap. I couldn't even log on, so I had to install a fresh copy of it in another folder (didn't quite want to reformat that partition yet), reinstalled all the drivers and I still couldn't connect. On a fresh copy of windows.

I can't even ping my router or connect to any web pages, but my windows connection says everything is fine and even has an ip from the router (192.168.0.100). I can send things across my home network (for example from my laptop to my main computer). I just don't understand it. I've been working with computers for about 10 years now and I've always been able to figure out my own problems, but I just can't seem to find out why it's doing this. Can anyone help?

This could be a tough one to figure out but I will offer
a few suggestions.

The first thing to try is to make sure that you temporarily
turn off any firewalls and try to access the internet. This
seems to happen sometimes with Internet Security. If
you have it turn it off then try. If it works then you need
to remove and reinstall. Make sure to turn it back on
after you find and fix the problem.

If that doesn't work then I would try to eliminate the
router and plug directly into the computer and see
if you can get on. This will tell you if the router
is the problem (if it works) but more importantly it
will tell you that it isn't the problem and will let you
know that it is related to the software or the network
card (probably not since you can see across the
network).

After doing that troubleshooting at least you will have
eliminated some of the potential problems and
troubleshooting can start again.

You might also get a copy if winsockxpfix.exe to
try. I believe it is small enough to fit on a floppy.
It might be worth a try also.

Lets see.. the only firewall I have is the built in windows firewall, so I don't see how that would block the connection. I will try to plug directly to the modem and see if that works but I highly doubt it since I have 4 other computers connected to the router and they can all access the internet fine. I've also tried winsockfix and that did nothing to solve my problem (which is how I figured out I could still network between my computers, I moved the file from my laptop to the problem computer).

I honestly have to say I'm stumped.. I just can't figure this out. It's like it just can't make a TCP/IP connection for some reason.

Honestly, this sounds like something within your registry has changed a bit. But, let's start from the beginning and work our way there.

Download and run HijackThis and post your results via your log here in a new post within this thread.

Also, open up a command prompt and post the results of an "ipconfig /all" please.

How could something have changed in my registry when it's a fresh install of windows?

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:44:57 PM, on 1/2/2003
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS2\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.gamefaqs.com/
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PRONoMgr.exe] C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : home-e413196d3f
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : ok.shawcable.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : ok.shawcable.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
on
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-61-01-27-56
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, January 01, 2003 10:30:37
PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, January 08, 2003 10:30:37
PM

(And no, I'm not a total noob.. I do know a little bit about what I'm doing, I've done this and everything looks normal.)

Ookami said:
How could something have changed in my registry when it's a fresh install of windows?

I hope that I'm not coming across as if to say that you are a "noob". I think nothing of the sort. You mentioned that you have been working on computers for 10+ correct? :)

Ok, let's move on. Well, simply because the disk was never formatted. your old implementation of windows and and everything within still resides on another partition, so you can easily obtain the same problem.

Have you tried to connect via a static address?

Try these settings:

IP: 192.168.0.201
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS: 4.2.2.1
DNS2: 192.168.0.1

Not that it really matters but is there a reason why it's displaying a date in '03 rather than '06?

Probably because my bios reset to default settings recently and I didn't bother to set it up again. I'll try the static settings.

(03 is when I built the computer)

K the static didn't work, and I'm about to head out and buy a second hard drive.. going to reformat tonight and see if I can fix the problem that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom