Unable to connect to the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThickSmoke

Solid State Member
Here's my problem:

I recently signed up for Time Warner cable internet access. When they brought over the modem, I hooked it up directly to my computer. However, I cannot access the internet at all. When I checked my IP settings, the IP Address is 169.254.0.0, the subnet is 255.255.0.0 and the Physical Address is 00-00-00-00-00-00. Doing ipconfig /release does nothing, doing ipconfig /renew gives the following error:
"An error occured while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."
I've already tried power cycling the modem and the computer. Anyone know whats wrong?

Did you explain the problem to them? Why didnt they support you and have you troubleshoot? Make sure you have an RJ-45 cable connected from the modem to the back of your machine and you have a linklight. Also, make sure your modem is not in standyby if it has that feature.

physical address should have something there, have you used your Ethernet port before? possible drivers are not installed. when you go to network settings in control panel do you see the LAN connection?

Also if you go to device manger(hold windows key down and press pause/break) then go to hardware then device manager are there any yellow ! .

The reason I didn't troubleshoot when I called them is that I'm actually at work. As for the NIC being broken, it's onboard on my motherboard, and I don't know where the drivers are. I might just buy a new NIC and see if that fixes it.

The ethernet port was working fine until I moved. I did have some problems with the computer starting up when I finally got it unpacked and hooked up, but it's working fine now. Maybe something got damaged on the mobo.

The reason I asked this question while at work is so that I have some things to try once I get home. I'll check the device manager, but I think I checked it before and there was nothing out of the ordinary. I'll try getting that Winsockxp onto a disk or CD from someone and try that too. Thanks for the help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom