Two routers, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirercx

Baseband Member
Hi everybody!

I am now trying to get two routers working in my house, so I have two points at which I can plug in (wired) to the internet. I have a D-Link 4300 ( I think ) wireless gaming router plugged into my modem, as my main router. Then, I have a Linksys BEFW11S v.3 connected to my D-Link through a standard Ethernet cable. I want the Linksys to be the "hub", splitting the D-Link's connection.

I already set them both to disable DHCP. I am using a static IP, connecting to the D-Link right now to type this post. So, my question is, How do I get the Linksys to be a hub?

Hope you can help,
Wirercx

I imagine there should be an option to turn it into simply an access point, rather than a router. (Disable NAT, DHCP, yadda yadda yadda)

As to where that is located, refer to your manual/documentation.

Nope, no "turn into swich or access point" options. At least not on any of the routers i've seen.

If your main router's a dlink, you'll want to set it up like this:

Turn off DHCP on linksys. Set linksys to use a static IP address.
Give it an IP of 192.168.0.200
Default gateway:192.168.0.1
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
primary & secondary DNS, you can leave as 0.0.0.0.

Once you have applied the static IP applied, plug the linksys into the dlink using one of the standard ports on the back. Do not use the WAN Port on the linksys anymore.

Once that's all hooked up, you should be able to use the linksys as an access point as well as a switch. All the computers attached to the linksys will look to the dlink to get their IPs and such. You can log into your linksys to meddle with any of the other setting at any time by logging into 192.168.0.200

I'm trying this too, but can't make it work.

I ran a new linksys to a dlink 614+ via ethernet cables and it wouldnt pick it up. It was "on", said all good, but I couldnt manage the new linksys through the dlinks internet connection. So it seems impossible to setup. I have everything set right too. I can't do it reverse either. I can only manage whatever router is plugged directly to the modem, the other is virtually non existent it says. No page opens.

Any ideas anybody? I gotta fix this or else I'm going all linksys adapters and that's gonna cost more $ ugh.

What kind of cable are you using to connect the Linksys to the Dlink?

Because connecting two switch ports require a different cable call a crossover cable. Sometime you might not need this special cable if one of the switch port on your router supports auto-mdi/mdi-x or you have an uplink port, but most likely you will need a crossover cable to do this.

You can tell if it's a crossover cable or not by holding the ends side by side, if the color coordination matches, they are not cross-over. Most likely it may be a straight-through cable, the one you use to connect your PC to the switch port on your router.

Yeah I'm just using a standard cat5 cable. I assumed an ethernet cord would work fine. It's going from a 1-4 port on the dlink ---> the single port on the linksys, not one of its 1-4 ports.

A crossover cable ****...then I may just get new adapters heh...

It has to be the switch port, I don't think you can use the WAN port unless you know how to configure static routes. But it would be easier if you just buy a crossover cable and connect one of the D-Link LAN port to one of the Linksys LAN port. That should work and you don't really need to do any else beside turning off DHCP on one of the router so it doesn't interfere with each other.

Well hopefully that works. I just made a crossover cable here at work, so if all goes well I'll be able to manage this other **** router. If it works, my hat off to you Law!

I just couldn't see the new linksys router. It showed green LED's and everything, but the browser wouldn't open it to be managed, just the old dlink, because it was connected through the modem line. So if this works, that'd be great, then I'll try to figure out how to configure them to work heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom