Two questions: removing router + comcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallstreetjourn2

Solid State Member
I plan on doing a system restore to my computer. But before I do that I first wanted to get my router removed so I can directly connect to my cable modem and access the internet that way.

I forgot how to do this though, and the router had software installed on the computer as well which I thought might make it complicated.

Also, my ISP is Comcast. I remember when I first got it I had to install a bunch of things to get everything running properly, as well as authenticate my account. If I didn't there was this Comcast themed page completely blocking my internet access.

I'm concerned that when I do the system recovery I'll have to go through the same process, which I would like to avoid if necessary. I don't use their email or their anti-virus software that comes along with the installation.

Sorry for the length. Any help is appreciated, too.

All you should have to do is reset the modem for Comcast. Just remove the plug for like 30 seconds and then plug it back in. From there just hook it up directly to your PC without the Router there. That should give you access to the Internet just fine.

Usually Comcast will only ask you to set up your connection once so you should have to deal with it. The router software shouldn't cause any problems.

Yea, just like the above two posts, it isn't going to be a problem. Rare occasions do pop up where users are asked to complete the page you are taking about (the page that has the "I am a Customer" or "I am a Technician") and you would have to follow through the steps in order for the proxy to stop blocking you... if it does come up you could either:

1) Call Comcast and have them remove it for you (might take a while to explain to them the situation, et cetera)
2) Or just follow through the prompts (you will need access to your account number). After the prompts, you will be left with a working connection and their "Desktop Doctor" application.. which you can just go into add/remove apps and remove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom