Two parallel internet connections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah... That's why some employees have those websites enabled because they persuaded the admin guy to enable them for them. It's funny how much energy some people here are willing to spend patronizing and not answering concrete questions. I know better than all of you how my company works so please stop trying to teach me that.

Btw, I figured it out by myself and now I have what I wanted. It works like a charm and I let everyone in the office know and no one thought I was doing something wrong. In fact, they asked why did I bother doing all this instead of just asking the admin to enable the sites for me. So this case is officially closed.
Which is exactly what was suggested to you several times since the beginning. Point being, you didn't because you wanted to get around policy rather than going through the proper steps. :rolleyes:

We originally told you it's against the rules, that's why nobody answered your question. In the end, you proved our point while trying to mock us. Good job.

Yeah... That's why some employees have those websites enabled because they persuaded the admin guy to enable them for them. It's funny how much energy some people here are willing to spend patronizing and not answering concrete questions. I know better than all of you how my company works so please stop trying to teach me that.
Because, like it has been said, it's against OUR rules to help somebody go around a company policy - no matter how relaxed YOU tell us your company's policy really is. Nobody here wants to be held liable for any damages that could be caused from accessing a site by going around your company's firewall.

There's a reason the 2 networks are separated.

Btw, I figured it out by myself and now I have what I wanted. It works like a charm and I let everyone in the office know and no one thought I was doing something wrong. In fact, they asked why did I bother doing all this instead of just asking the admin to enable the sites for me. So this case is officially closed.

Which is what we suggested you do in the first place. That way it's on record that you requested those sites be unblocked for your for work purposes.

Well, to be blunt, if you worked for me and I caught you doing something like this without permission you would be fired( ok maybe not the first time). If you were able to find a way to do it that is.

There is good reason (a lot) why business's filter their users internet usage. Its always best to ask first regardless of assumptions.

Where I work in IT we don't really care ourselves what people are doing on the internet. If a senior manager / director asks for someone to be able to access a site, then fine.

There is a locked down default policy but we do not ask questions if a manger requests someone to have access to something.

You may find it is the same where you are. Just ask your manager if you can have access and get them to speak to IT to unblock it for you. If they have a semi decent web filtering product it should be fairly easy for them to do.

Which is exactly what was suggested to you several times since the beginning. Point being, you didn't because you wanted to get around policy rather than going through the proper steps. :rolleyes

Yeah dude, you tell me what I really wanted... ;)

We originally told you it's against the rules, that's why nobody answered your question. In the end, you proved our point while trying to mock us. Good job.

I knew that this was gonna follow but sorry, I didn't prove anyone's point. Just because they told me I should have asked, doesn't mean that he would allow it. And you don't have to believe me at all, but that has nothing to do with the company's security policies and only with the fact that the guy who decides what gets blocked is a little bit of a douchebag. Do you really think that asking wasn't the first thing that I considered so I needed you to suggest it? :rolleyes:

bob442 said:
Well, to be blunt, if you worked for me and I caught you doing something like this without permission you would be fired( ok maybe not the first time).

Then I'm glad I'm not working for you. ;)

carnageX said:
Because, like it has been said, it's against OUR rules to help somebody go around a company policy - no matter how relaxed YOU tell us your company's policy really is. Nobody here wants to be held liable for any damages that could be caused from accessing a site by going around your company's firewall.

There is no law that I know of where you could be liable for telling someone how to do something. If you told me that I could jump from a bridge if I wanted to commit suicide, and I do it, are you gonna be liable?

Anyway, could someone please delete my account from here? I don't think I have any reason to stay, nor do you have any reason to keep me.

Yeah dude, you tell me what I really wanted... ;)

I knew that this was gonna follow but sorry, I didn't prove anyone's point. Just because they told me I should have asked, doesn't mean that he would allow it. And you don't have to believe me at all, but that has nothing to do with the company's security policies and only with the fact that the guy who decides what gets blocked is a little bit of a douchebag. Do you really think that asking wasn't the first thing that I considered so I needed you to suggest it? :rolleyes:

Then I'm glad I'm not working for you. ;)

There is no law that I know of where you could be liable for telling someone how to do something. If you told me that I could jump from a bridge if I wanted to commit suicide, and I do it, are you gonna be liable?

Anyway, could someone please delete my account from here? I don't think I have any reason to stay, nor do you have any reason to keep me.

Your employer would be embarrassed by your actions on this site. B/c basically what you have said is that you work for a 2 cent company and that its customer data and privacy is less important than youtube videos or facebook selfies. The only reason your company implemented security policies was to punish the few cool kids-

You were looking for somebody with the knowledge you lack. in theory you believe it can be done but just can;t connect the dots yourself. Talk your talk but I have not seen you share one detail as to how you bypassed this issue- other than to say you fixed it!

As for your liable comments- you clearly do not understand something called best practices- and how those best practices would expose your bypass switch in the even there was an attack on your company. But I am sure you can afford a lawyer to tell the FEDS to **** off. Too bad the guy who helped you here is just a hobbyist. Oh not to mention the site who shares risk b/c they provided the venue for this to take place. But clearly you do not understand networking practices how could I expect you to understand there are two types of law criminal and civil- both can be life changing.

you can remove yourself from the site by clicking log out- Maybe the IT guy will block this site to keep you from logging back in. but he might already be a VIP member- #thingstoconsider

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom