Two comps dont seem to want to talk to each other via crossover

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuestWho

Beta member
Ok so I have the crossover cable, I have folders that are shared but all I get in the little LAN icon is "Limited or no Connectivity", now I've tried google and as much fun as it seems in searching for an answer I find a history lesson on crossover cables or seemingly difficult methods on making this work without an explination on how to do it.

So I decided to try the forums, is there a simple way to get this to work? THe desktop computer is connecting to my laptop to only transfer files through a crossover cable, both using windows xp pro SP2.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

If your local IP address is returned as 169.254.y.z with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0, the IP address was assigned by the Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA), that means your computer TCP/IP setting are set to obtain an IP address from a DHCP server but there are no DHCP server around.

If you don't get that IP address, just simply go into the NIC properties for each computer, to the TCP/IP Properties http://www.itservices.ubc.ca/resnet/__shared/assets/tcp-ip_properties_general57.gif

Select "use the following IP address" put in:

For XP 1
IP address 192.168.1.1
subnet mask 255.255.255.0

For XP 2
IP address 192.168.1.2
subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Click ok to save, then right click on "My Computer" select Properties, go to Computer Name, make sure workgroup = to the same on both computer, else change it. Restart if you made changes. You should now be able to see your shares.

Thanks Law...

Yes, and just to add a little:
The "Limited or no Connectivity" in your situation simply means that the pins at the ends of the cable connected to your computers are most certainly linked, but until you apply the changes in the above post, they won't be able to "talk" to one another.

Close but not quite there yet! Changed the IP and got it to connect, laptop lists itself in "My Network Places" but not the desktop. On the desktop I can access the laptop files and move them to the desktop but I can't move the files from desktop to laptop : \

Comes up with an error when I try to move the files from desktop to laptop.

"Cannot copy 'file name': Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full of write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

Well the drive is certainly not full nor is the file in use and I have no idea what it means by write-protected.

It means you need to set the NTFS permission so that specific users or everyone can write to the folder.

Since you're running XP Pro, go to Control Panel/Folder Options-View. Scroll all the way down to the bottom, uncheck "Use Simple File Sharing".

Right click on the shared folder on your laptop, select Sharing and Security. You are now in the Sharing tab, click on Permission, you can click Add and add a specific user who can write to it or you can just give "Everyone" Full control.

See if this work, if not, then get back there and go to the Security tab and do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom