two building networking,fiber to fiber

fiberjames

Baseband Member
hi,I have a router(cisco 892) and a switch(cisco catalyst 2960),both of them have the SFP fiber module.i decided to use the fiber ports to extend the network to the switch,(Two buildings are connected by fiber).No routing is necessary, simply to connect the switch the signal from the router through the fiber ports.i tried to set the sfp interface to switch port access,but it gives an error.

So,what i means, i`m trying to connect one building to another over fiber. The Cisco routers do not have a fiber port so I had to use a sfp interface to transform the fiber to ethernet.i`m trying to get the switch in building A to talk to the router in building B.i think the problem is i`m using the sfp transceiver module and it's also in an expansion slot on the router and switch and not actually attached to one of the ports on the switch and router.all i`m trying to do is bridge the connections so building A can be apart of building B network. give me some advises if u have a better idea.:)

As you said, all you need might be a pair of fiber to Ethernet media converters which can transform the signals between optic and electricity. The converters have SC, SFP and RJ45 ports to support your connections via fiber patch cords.

As you said, all you need might be a pair of fiber to Ethernet media converters which can transform the signals between optic and electricity. The converters have SC, SFP and RJ45 ports to support your connections via fiber patch cords.

thanks,grace,can u give me some detail about ur idea,what more ,pls offer the provider of the devices u mention,because i really do not want to pay more on my cost in this item.

It is up to the distance between the building A and B. Due to the cost, you can consider Fiberstore, an optics supplier that I found by searching on google, who provides a series of fiber transmission items.

It is up to the distance between the building A and B. Due to the cost, you can consider Fiberstore, an optics supplier that I found by searching on google, who provides a series of fiber transmission items.

hi,grace,thanks for you recommendation. I just got in touch with fiberstore and was shocked by the pricing:omg:

Back
Top Bottom