Two ADSL Modems, One Service and House

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkwürdigeliebe

Benevolent Cake Despot
Alright, so I've really gotten tired of having to fish around the neighborhood for wireless connections. I'd set up my router with my step-dad's connection, but him and I aren't really on best of terms.

Anyway, so my rents went out of town and I took this opportunity to bring the ADSL modem upstairs to my computer and hook up the Internet directly... I don't think I can go back to wireless now.

What I was thinking was to have my own ADSL modem upstairs. Now, I'm fairly certain that we both can't connect to the service at the same time. My specific question is: Say if he was connected downstairs and then I tried to connect, would he automatically be disconnected or will I be refused connection?

Basically I'm hoping to go on and use a direct connection without him knowing, so I'll just go on while he's doing something else.

Yeah, but what I really want to know is if his modem is connected, and I try and connect through mine, will his modem be automatically disconnected or will mine be refused connection?

I can't really answer what the modem's will do in that kind of scenario.... It is likely that only 1 of the modems will be able to connect anyways, depending on wether your ISP is limiting that connection to 1 MAC address.... Your best bet would be to order an additional phone line, and have 2nd modem on that 2nd line, or to use wireless...

Yeah, that's fine.... Rule of thumb is this... You can't have more than 1 modem on the same physical line with DSL. Cable might be a bit different, since it is by nature a shared technology, whereas DSL is a single connection from your house to the CO or neighborhood gateway.

So your stepdad will not allow you onto his internet connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom