Trying to use WAP instead of wireless card or USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you able to get to the AP setup page, or is that were you are getting the work offline message?

If you CANNOT access the AP config page, then I would recommed:

With the setup you have, here is what I would recommend for the Access Point:

IP: 10.0.0.16
Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0
Default gateway: 10.0.0.2

make sure that the computer you are connecting it to has the SAME info (give the computer a 10.0.0.15 address so that they are in the same subnet, but not using the same IP address.)

My router is connected to the desktop, and my WAP to the laptop. I have three questions.

1. Am I meant to use the IP I gave the LAN connection to connect to the WAP over internet explorer? (If so, it says: "Webpage not available offline, connect or work offline." Then it says "No internet connection detected")

2. How am I meant to give the laptop an IP =\?

3. Should I connect the WAP to the desktop, and use my other DSL modem to try and configure the WAP on this line?

Oh and: The IP for my LAN is 10.0.0.4 (but TCP/IP is set to automatically detect), and for my router, 10.0.0.2. On my laptop, I made the IP for my LAN 10.0.0.16, cuz I thought that was what was meant by changing the WAPs address. I don't know the WAPs address, but I can't connect to anything on IE, I think.

ok, we will try to get at this step by step......

First thing is the Recon... get the info you will need, and plan it out before you start.

Router info:
  • DHCP Pool's available addresses: 10.0.0.4 - 10.0.0.5
  • Router's IP Address 10.0.0.2 255.0.0.0
  • Router's SSID: (not shown in your screen shots, you will need this)
  • Router's Channel Number: (not shown in your screen shots, you will need this)

Your router has a STATIC IP address, as in it doesn't change.... This is on the LAN side of the router, at this point, we don't care at all about the WAN side that faces the internet, ONLY the LAN...

The Access Point's DEFAULT config will have the following settings: (make sure you reset the AP to put it back to these settings)
  • IP: 192.168.1.245
  • username: admin
  • password: admin

Now that we know the AP's DEFAULT config, and you have just reset the AP back to this DEFAULT config, it is time to connect it to the laptop via ethernet cable. Connect the cable, then assign a static IP address to your laptop.
(See this guide for how to change the IP address of your laptop: How to Assign a Static IP to Your Computer)

When giving your laptop an address & subnet mask, use the following:
  • IP Address: 192.168.1.244
  • Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
  • Default Gateway: 192.168.1.245

Now that your laptop & the AP are in the same subnet, open an internet browser, and type 192.168.1.245 into the url bar, and it will take you to the AP login page if everything is set up correctly.... user/pass is admin/admin. What you will want to do is change the access point's config to:

• IP Address: 10.0.0.3
  • Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0
  • Default Gateway: 10.0.0.2

and laptop to:

• IP Address: 10.0.0.4
  • Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0
  • Default Gateway: 10.0.0.3

EDIT:
You will have to put the AP's NEW IP address (10.0.0.3) into the browser's url bar to access it.
/EDIT

Now, all the equipment should be on the same subnet, and the laptop should still be able to communicate with the AP.

(more to come.... at work, getting busy, so I will send the rest in a bit... let me know when you are able to complete this portion.)

Great, now that all of your equipment is on the same subnet, and the PC connected to the router is working, and the laptop can access the AP config page, the only thing left to do is configure the Access Point to communicate with the router.

You will need to make sure that BOTH the router and the Access Point are using the SAME SSID and Channel for the wireless, or it will not work.
Example: (typically the default)

SSID: linksys
Channel: 6

For details on navigating the AP's config, see the user guide .pdf file on the WAP54G Homepage

After the AP is configured, I would put the laptop back to gain an IP automatically from DHCP.

SIDE NOTE: Your addressing scheme is unusual, did you pick that yourself, or was it the default on the router? I say it's unusual, because it allows for a VERY LARGE number of availabe host IP's on your network with the 255.0.0.0 subnet mask... With my personal LAN at home, I have a 10.10.5.25 IP address scheme, with a 255.255.255.248 subnet mask which allows for 4 usable host IP's... just enough for my 2 PC's, PS2, and the laptop./SIDE NOTE

omg grawr. I was so happy to connect to the page, but then it wouldn't accept admin admin! GRRR.

I attached the SSID and the other thing you asked.

Okay, I think it might work now. It's set to Configuring the WAP54G. *is excited* *crosses fingers while typing*

*touches wood*

What I did, was use the setup I downloaded from the Drivers section of linksys.com, which I saved to CD.

Configuration failed ='(. It says it's a cable connection thing, so I'll just replace the vonage one.

gamerunknown said:
omg grawr. I was so happy to connect to the page, but then it wouldn't accept admin admin! GRRR.

This being the case, are you positive that the AP was reset back to factory defaults? According to the Linksys page, if you are using a WAP54G, the default user/pass is admin/admin, as shown on page 16 of the manual... page 23 of 84 in the .pdf document..

It says it's a cable connection thing, so I'll just replace the vonage one.

Can you give more details about where this error is seen, and the exact message that it gives you.

Well, I tried again, after all of that, and managed to complete the setup from the disk (didn't bother trying that infinite loop on IE) Now, though, it still won't connect to the net, even though it's now both Transmitting and Receiving packets. I even set it to automatically accept IP and DNS, but there appears to be a problem with DNS on both my desktop and laptop =(.

I followed your instructions so far, I think. I'll try to provide a more in depth report a little later (seeing what exact info I have on the laptop)

At the moment, I'm also in the Live Chat Queue on linksys.com, but it doesn't appear to budge. I tried refreshing a few times, and it cleared me down to 6th in queue, at which point I refreshed, and went back up to 9th in queue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom