Trying to use WAP instead of wireless card or USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, there seems to be a problem =\.

AOL won't detect the DSL part of the router properly, and then won't connect to the DNS server, or DSL, IIRC.

I'm not sure if the wireless works if the router is in, because I thought it would be pointless to just have my laptop working.

Also, my firefox seems to start working at random, but it rarely works on startup. Also seems to be an AOL problem, but it could be from the time I made a network bridge that I CAN'T GET RID OF o_0.

Alright, I modified the Router a little, just made sure I spelt the password and username correctly, and I also set DNS server to on. I'll see if the wireless works now, then I'm going to a friends house to revise for a test and go to the gym ^_^

Thanks a lot for everyones help, especially Ethereal and Law, you made things quite a lot clearer =p

Especially since I always turn into a blithering idiot on these forums, haha.

ok, first things first....

You keep mentioning that AOL isn't working... From the screenshot you are sending, AOL is configured to use a DIAL-UP modem.... This isn't the same as DSL. For that, you would have to connect the modem directly to the phone jack in the wall.... If you have broadband service, there is no reason to dial out to AOL.

Secondly, if you are able to get to the router config from a PC, then the router is working... It is configured for DHCP, and if it wasn't then you wouldn't be able to get to that page unless you give the PC a static IP address.

For ease of troubleshooting, lets not worry about the wireless right now... lets just get the wired PC connected to the internet. Once we reach that point, then we can proceede to the wireless.

Oops, sorry I didn't make it clear: I managed to get the DSL part of my router working.

Otherwise, this is what it would look like. (GlobeSpan modem plugged in).

I went to another forum to try and get people to respond quicker, and found someone was using my alt account without permission, so I requested a password change for the email for that account to be sent to my main email account, so I could the email for the other account, so I could request a password reset link to be sent to that account.

In the middle of doing this, my father switched off the computer from the plug, probably because he thought it was time I should go to the gym/ he wanted to go on for a while/ he gets annoyed while babysitting/ he gets

ok, so now the router is connecting, and the LAN portion of the router is working correctly, you just need to get the wirless working, correct?

My lunch break just ended... this is what I was able to find on the Linksys AP in the past few minutes......My lunch break just ended... this is what I was able to find on the Linksys AP in the past few minutes......

Default info for WAP54G

IP: 192.168.1.245
username: admin
password: admin

When configuring the Access Point.....

• IP: Make SURE the IP is in the same network as the router. I suggest using a STATIC IP address.
  • SSID: Must be IDENTICAL for all wireless devices in the network.
  • Channel: User the SAME channel for all wireless devices in the network.

I put in the IP to try to configure it, in firefox and ie, but I kept getting offline reports. Then I tried using the properties in network connections, and I gave it the default ID, and put the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 for some reason. I also made the default gateway 1.0.0.0, also for no particular reason.

Should I somehow edit the DNS server, or is there some other way of making it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom