Trying to use WAP instead of wireless card or USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerunknown

In Runtime
I have a linksys WAP [connected to laptop] (54g, v3), and a Cable and Wireless router [connected to PC], and I want to use the WAP to connect to the internet on my laptop, while still being able to use the internet on my PC.

For some stupid reason, I set my WAP to automatically obtain an IP address, because I thought that always fixes things, and I couldn't go on the PC because my sister was on it. My router also automatically obtains an IP address. Both my DSL modem and router need to connect to a phone port, using a filter. I also have a normal, non wireless phone, which was apparently needed if I wanted to use Vonage. If I plug my router and modem in at the same time, neither connects. If I unplug the router, then my DSL modem works, but my router will of course not. If I unplug the modem, then my PC's internet won't work, and I won't be able to troubleshoot if my laptops won't work also. I can't remember what the IP address of the WAP was meant to be.

Is there some way I can get both PC and laptop online? =\

Well your setting is confusing to start off with.

This is how you should have it setup.

ISP<------->Modem<------>Wireless Router

The DSL modem should be the only device connecting to the phone line, and that modem should have an RJ45 port to connect to the WAN port on the wireless router. Then 1 PC connect wired to the router and the laptop should have a wireless adapter to connect to the wireless router.

From what your situation state, is that your wireless router is actually a modem also? Please give us the brand and model of all your network devices so we could clear that up.

That was back when I was trying to use my WAP like a router, which is impossible.

Because I can't seem to communicate what I mean, I remember that some Godforsaken guide recommended that I drew my set up. It goes something like this:

http://www.freewebs.com/gamerunknown/picture side.bmp

Computer

1. 'BT Voyager 105' USB ADSL modem
2. USB power line for modem.
3. DSL line -> phone filter. (8)
4. 'Cable and Wireless' Router. Wireless 11g ADSL Router*
5. DSL line -> Phone Filter. (11)
6. Networking Cable -> Back of PC.
7. Phone Socket. Room for 2 filters. (8) is plugged in.
8. Filter for (1), plugged in.
9. Cabled Phone.
10. DSL line -> Phone filter (3)
11. Router Filter (Not plugged in)
12. DSL from Router (5)

*Model No ADSLR10CW3
Defaults-
IP: 10.0.0.2
Login: Admin
Password: 1234

Laptop

13. Linksys Wireless G access point with SES. WAP54G ver 3.1
14. Network Cable -> Back of laptop.

I tried to plug just the router in, but that didn't work, then I tried bridging the connection and using both the router and the modem, and that made my computer lag like **** and didn't work, and then I tried just using the router again, but AOL would only detect the built in modem of my computer. When I plugged the DSL modem back in, it wouldn't detect that either for quite a long time.

Thanks for any help.

Oh and the router does have built in DSL (which doesn't seem to be working =\). My DSL router, for some reason, doesn't have that networking cable, just the DSL one <_<.

Ok, I have re-read this post, as well as your previous post.... I am waiting on looking at the picture you provided, becausee it will take over 10 minutes to download it... 8 meg file, at 5 KB/sec.... next time, please try to save as a JPEG or something smaller than a bitmap image.

Can you conform for me if these are the 3 devices that you are using???

BT Voyager 105 DSL Modem
ADSLR10CW3
LINKSYS WAP54G

EDIT: Saw the picture... that isn't quite what was meant as far as a diagram... but it will do.. .I will check it out later, about to leave work, and I have a ton to do a home tonight./EDIT

Yeah, sorry. My drawing is terrible, but I didn't plan on doing something really detailed or circuit style. I knew it wasn't what the guys meant.

The pictures are of what I have to set up the wireless, yeah.

I used .bmp because I thought that you wouldn't be able to see the lines in any other format.

gamerunknown, you didn't answer Ethereal_Dragon's question about your hardware. If you don't help us, we can't help you.

By "The pictures ... yeah" I meant the ones Ethereal posted, not the drawing I did.

So, in others words, I confirm your post.

Sorry, Ryan.

Ok, I have looked over your diagram, and all I can say is WoW.... I think your network is VERY bizarre.....

Here's the beef......

First thing is first... you should un-hook everything, and completly re-vamp the topology of the network.

STARTING AT THE WALL SOCKET
You should have the phone filter plugged DIRECTLY into the RJ-11 wall outlet. The phone side, obviously goes to a phone. The DATA side of the filter will be connected to the ADSLR10CW3. The BT Voyager 105 DSL Modem can be set aside, as it will NOT be needed. (This is ONLY able to be connected to 1 PC via USB... It is possible to use it on a PC, and connect the PC to the router and use ICS to share the internet, but it is a pain, and the main computer will have to be on to give access to the other hosts in the network.)...

DO NOT CONNECT MORE THAN 1 MODEM TO THE SAME LINE!!! THIS WILL NOT WORK

After you configure the integrated modem/router, you will be good to go on wired hosts, and you are then left to just set up the wireless portion of the router, and the LINKSYS WAP54G.

As far as Vontage is concerned, I am not familiar with how the network needs to be set up... The only thing I can assume is that the phones will have to be connected to a Vontage complian router, (Quality of Service options are recommended to give the router the ability to prioritize voice traffic over data traffic.)

Also, I attached a network diagram a threw together in paint in about 3 minutes... that is how the network should be, although I am not sure if the WAP54G will function as you want it to, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 79
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom