Trying to set up a home network. Having problems with smart Tv

kkstoklund

Beta member
I'm trying to set up a home network in my apartment using an external harddrive plugged into my router with usb. The harddrive is filled with music, pictures and movies. I'm trying to access the files from various devices. So far I've been able to access the files from my mac, android phone and my iPad. I can also stream a movie directly to my Samsung smart tv, but the problem is that I can't pause, rewind or forward the movie - it just tells me it is unable to perform that action. This is not an issue on any of my other devices or if plug the harddrive directly to the tv. I've searched the internet and come up with nothing. Hopefully some of you out there can help me.
Why won't my tv allow me the control the playback of a movie that is streaming directly from my router?

This is my tv: Samsung, TV, Smart TV, LED TV, UHD TV, LCD TV, Samsung.DK

This is my router: TG799vn v2 5GHz (Xtream) Gateway - Technicolor

Does the TV support the file types of the movies you're trying to stream? If it can't properly decode them, then it may just have limited support in streaming only without support for rewind/fast forward/etc.

Last edited:
That's why I like the idea of Chromecast, FireTV/FireTV Stick, or Roku. Turns any TV into a Smart TV...and then if you setup a Plex server, you can have all your media transcoded if it's not supported on the device.

So I should buy a device to make my smart tv to be like a smart tv?

If you want to be able to watch your own video files with better usability then yes; but that's not what I said ;). I said you can make any TV (with an HDMI input) into a smart TV using one of those devices - for very cheap.

Back
Top Bottom