Trying to set up a home network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradlays

Baseband Member
There are a total of 5 computers in the house (4 laptops, 1 desktop). They all have windows xp installed on them with the exception of my laptop which dual boots vista and xp. (I would like to get vista working with the network also, but that can be done another day)

In Windows XP when I try to run the network wizard an error occurs so I figure I need to do it manually, the only problem is I have no clue how.

The desktop is connected to a Netgear WPN824v2 wireless router and the router is connected to a cable modem (My ISP is AOL so there is a dynamic ip). All of the other computers can already connect to the internet through the wireless router, but I want to enable file sharing.

How would I set this up so that all of the files and the desktop printer can be shared?

You need to run the network setup wizard.

netsetup.rar - Network setup wiz - BADONGO

download and unrar that. It is the network setup wizard from my PC. I haev confirmed it is working. You can either run that from where you have downlaoded it to or place it in the Windows/system32 folder where it belongs.

If all of the computers are in the same workgroup (default is usually named WORKGROUP or MSHOME), it should be pretty easy. Go to explorer right click on a folder you want to share, and select 'SHARING & SECURITY'. Thats about it.

Alright I believe I set everything up right but now I have a problem. It won't let me access the desktop whenever I try I keep getting this error.

72252188ai1.jpg

Anyone know whats wrong?

I get the above problem also - anyone have any ideas?

Is that the name of the PC? the other one on the network? Have you got them with the same name? Have you got a account for them to connect to? If you are using the Admin account they wont be able to log in again with the same account.

File sharing is simple:

Give all the PC's unique names, but give them all the same workgroup name (I use "Home Network" for my workgroup name). Then, to share a folder, right click it and select Sharing and Security. Check "Shared As", enter a name for the shared folder, and set permissions (password, read only or full access, etc). Then, from the other PC, go to My Network Places and double click on the network share. If it doesn't show up, you can click the Show Workgroup Computers to connect to a particular machine on your network and view all of its network shares.

Alright I believe I set everything up right but now I have a problem. It won't let me access the desktop whenever I try I keep getting this error.

72252188ai1.jpg

Anyone know whats wrong?

The PC you are trying to access has a firewall, if you set it too office mode then that should allow you to access it.

I know I "left" but I was boredy bored ;)

Alright, I tried connecting from the desktop and this is the error I get when I click on view work group computers.

41655153em1.png

And makeveli what you do you mean by once you connect through an admin account you can't do it again?

Edit: Also firewalls are on none of the computers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom