Trying To Find Wall Mounts for an 11" 24 Port Switch

NinjaPenguin76

Solid State Member
I'll try to keep it short. I'm a Networking student on the verge of graduation and I'm in the process of helping my teacher with a job from a client. I've been in charge of drawing up the diagram for the layout and collecting data to put together a materials spreadsheet to consolidate costs and such. She was very specific about wanting to have a wall mounted switch (vertically oriented) which I've found hard to locate either at all or within a reasonable price range. This is for a non-profit org. so keeping costs minimal is pretty big. My solution, which I did with the patch panel as well, was to just add a separate wall mount kit. The patch panel one was simple enough to find, as it was universal and such.

I'm still new to the actual "in field" portion of all of this, so I'm not SUPER well acquainted with the nuances of finding hardware, and y'know, the process of implementing them and such. I'm not completely oblivious, but still, this is new to me. I HAD found a suitable one, before when we were going to use a 48 port switch but some stuff changed. Now, I have found it nigh impossible to find what I'm looking for.

This could be because I don't *entirely* know what I'm looking for well enough to realize when I've seen it, or I simply can't find it. Almost every switch is inherently desk or rackmount designed, and every mount I look for is just another add on for a server rack. So I'm reaching out to see if someone can aid me in refining my searches, correct my approach, link me a site, whatever I can find. This is literally the last piece I need to complete the documentation and it's driving me MAD. I'll link the exact switch I was trying to use.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...VE73sCh1iGg-xEAkYASABEgLxivD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Any help is appreciated.

Well I'll be honest, like I said before, these steps are rather new to me. She's not had much input as she wants me to learn these things on my own. I'm sure she could've corrected me swiftly, but she has high expectations and I wanted to try to be resourceful in finding it without asking her something every five seconds. Up until now I managed to do it all on my own. I'm not familar with the differences between L2, L3, and such, frankly. I've got alot to learn when it comes to the real world applications of my knowledge, and brushing up to do on some things I've forgotten.

Also, I've viewed a silmiar, nearly identical (if not identical) wall mount as the one you linked before, but the reason I didn't select it was because it said it was for 19" equipment. Also something to note is that for some reason on that the switch page, it lists 1.73" x 11.02" x 4.96" as the dimensions under specifications tab, but then lists 13.5 x 7.1 x 4.2 inches under the overview :confused:

So this one should still work then? Sorry if I sound rather ignorant, I'm going off what information is visible on the product descriptions. Thanks for the response!

I'm a Networking student on the verge of graduation
I'm not familar with the differences between L2, L3, and such, frankly.

This doesn't add up. How are you on the verge of graduation when you don't know the basic fundamentals of networking? That stuff and overall OSI should be like day 1.

To answer your second thing. 19" is standard rack width. The switch comes with rack mount hardware, it's going to fit the standard 19" rack width.

ouch

I can understand your logic though. I'll try to explain the best I can. So first off- I'm not at a university, but a community college. Secondly, I have gone over OSI and such, and perhaps at one point I went over the L2 L3 etc. but do not remember, because there was a time when I was not in this program. Long story short I went to university rather than finishing my degree here and wasted a lot of time because for some reason I was under the impression that the major I was under was one of the ones that doesn't give you a degree but a certificate or whatever. I've always been into tech/computer stuff but never could hone in on what I wanted to do, and my family always kinda pressured me into feeling like university was the way you were supposed to go. I went to university and ended up taking a lot of classes that did nothing to further my knowledge in the field because of the universities curriculum. Over that time I went through a huge amount of personal stuff and depression and completely neglected my classes because I was so unmotivated and isolated from everyone I was close to.

Over that time my memory of the things I learned decayed significantly and eventually I had to decide what was right for me, so I called up my old teacher to find that my program actually did result in a degree, to which I felt like a fool for not knowing to start. I passed my MTAs long before university, so upon returning I had very few credits left to achieve. My remaining few classes only had 2 other students and my teacher is a very busy woman so she began having us work on server projects and stuff, more software related, than any technical implementation. This semester I'm the only student, so I've been helping more with actual hands on stuff, and have been having to relearn a lot of things. As time has gone on much of my learning has come back to me, but like I said it's not all there. I'm doing the best I can to try and prepare myself and call back on all of it.

I appreciate the help a lot though. Sincerely.

Also, one last thing that maybe paints a better picture, it's worth noting that during these last two semesters I've gone through the process of moving out on my own and have been working long hours 5 days a week at Walmart as an Electronics Sales Associate to support myself, which eats up a ton of my time. My off days have me stretched so thin trying to balance all of the things in my life that I don't have time like I once did to fully dedicate to school. So that's part of it. I'm much better at learning hands on, as with tests I can retain the information easily to get high grades on them but it doesn't guarantee it will stick unless I'm using that knowledge.

I did 5 semesters of my major and minor then dropped out, and have a career in IT. I have a ton of personal hands on and personally work with all this stuff at home and on a regular basis. I too had a rough start as soon as I dropped out, and having a kid at 23 didn't help. But to be real here, and to put it plain and simple. Your degree will look like Monopoly money to an employer if they ask you basic questions you don't understand. Like I said, OSI is day 1 stuff, and knowing the difference between Layer 2 and Layer 3 networking is extremely common. If you want any kind of job in networking or related to networking you will need to relearn this stuff pronto and have a serious understanding of it or you won't go anywhere. OSI, subnetting, NGFW, L4 security, wireless infrastructure, VLANs, VPNs, just to name a few. If you walk into an interview and they ask you the difference between a layer 2 and layer 3 device and you say I don't remember you'll be walked out, especially if the job has anything to do with networking.

Yeah man, I'm totally aware. I'm going to be making a point to go back through all of my material and bring back this stuff to my mind. My teacher actually apologized to me because she said it was partly her fault for not ensuring that I was putting my knowledge into practice, and that in this field there is so much information to know that it's easy to forget things when you don't use them. Of course I didn't let her take full blame as I should've been making a point to keep updating myself, but it's only been this recent year that my drive have come back for this field and I've been reigniting that passion. I know one thing about myself, even if I forget things it's only a matter of making that node in my brain click and then it makes it all rush back. Since I have passed the fundamentals with flying colors in the past, revisiting my texts and old assignments I've completed will most certainly help me get myself prepared. She has also given me documentation from former students with questions they got during interviews.

I'm the kind of person that you may look at and doubt how capable I am, but once my hands hit the job it's like it all starts coming together, to the point where I surprise even myself at times with the problems I've solved. If I can sharpen my mind to recall everything I've forgotten, and then prepare myself to think with the business side in mind (which I feel I do already sufficiently well, I'll be a well rounded networking professional with a lot to offer. I'm also going to be getting into some no-experience-required temp networking jobs to catch my stride, which can lead to a permanent position. If I can get my foot in the door I'm confident in my capabilities to really show a work ethic that will make me an asset.

I know myself well enough to say that I am capable of going from Monopoly money to valuable it I apply myself, and that's exactly what I'm going to do. Side note- I'm aware how dumb of a question this was seeing as how I didn't realize the rack mount equipment in the switch would make it compatible with the wall mount, but I didn't want to make any sort of assumptions without knowing and then get wrecked by her because I was stupid and the stuff didn't fit.

Enjoyed the talk man, and again, thank you. Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom