Is this true??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dav536

Baseband Member
I called my cable company about my internet service, I am wanting to move my pc and add one to my brothers in laws room. I asked if I could just rent a second modem while he is there(only 2mo) They told me NO, I would have to pay them to set up a wireless router or I could pay for a second internet svc. Needless to say I dont really want to do either if I dont need to. So is it possible just to add a second modem and have 2 running in different rooms.

THanks,
Dave

There just trying to squeeze a few more bucks out of you. Buy yourself a router, wireless if that's what you want, and then buy a PCMCIA wireless network card and voila, your done.

Would a wireless be better than a hard wire router? They will be used prodominatly for gaming(BF2,SWG and the such)

Thanks,
dave

cable is faster if you are playing lan games. If you just game on the inter net wireless wont slow you down. 100mbs for cable up to 54mbs (for g) for wireless depending upon distance from the router.

We mostly play online, but occasionally will play on a lan. So what would be best?

Thanks,
dave

So I can have 2 modems in different rooms? I cant stand Comcast Damn monopolys!

Thanks,
Dave

Dav536 said:
So I can have 2 modems in different rooms? I cant stand Comcast Damn monopolys!

Thanks,
Dave

You don't need 2 modems. Heres how it works. Your cable company gives you a modem to go online. You connect that modem to a router, and then all of your pc's/laptops connect to the router. All internet connections go to the router, and the router sends them to the cable modem.

Broadband internet company's know people do this, and they don't try to fight it. What they do try and do is convice people they need a professional to install it and then charge the heck out of you. You don't need it, it's a very simple thing to do.

That is where my prob lies, I will be moving one pc away from the others. I have them all on a router right now, I just dont want to have a wire leading from the back room to the living room. And would prefer to have a solid conection to mine exspecially since well its mine. So could I have the 2 in the back of the house using my current modem and router, then use a second modem(that I have access to) to run mine solo in the living room?

Sorry for all the questions just needing to get this changed quickly,

Thanks again,
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom