Troubleshooting my network - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Computer Networking and Internet Hardware
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2017, 08:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Troubleshooting my network

Hi everyone, first off thank you for taking the time to read my post I really appreciate it. I've spent some time trying to resolve this issue but the number of factors in play are likely too great for a few changes each time to matter much. Here's what my network looks like and what I'm trying to accomplish.

I have a few networks but have no control over these directly. I am mainly on the .2 network but have pingable machines on the .3 network. The networks are:

192.168.2.1 / 192.168.3.1 / 192.168.4.1

I have a number of network devices (around 20) I use daily and wish to segregate my devices to their own network away from the .2 using a typical home router. I cannot get this to work properly. I not only need to be able to ping these devices but also ping devices on the .2 the .3 and .4 networks. I am not sure if I should use the routers "gateway" or "router" setting, among others to segregate my devices onto for example a 192.168.10.1 network but also still allow pinging bi-directional between the other networks.

My environment looks like this currently. And I can ping everything currently:

Incoming Ethernet .2 Network > Switch > host PC running VMware Workstation (and all other devices on .2 .3 .4 pingable)

I hope to have this setup:

Incoming Ethernet .2 Network > Router (192.168.10.1?) > Switch > host PC running VMware Workstation (and all other devices pingable from .2 .3 .4 and .10)

Any direction on what to test or try would be so helpful. Thank you.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: Troubleshooting my network

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Hi everyone, first off thank you for taking the time to read my post I really appreciate it. I've spent some time trying to resolve this issue but the number of factors in play are likely too great for a few changes each time to matter much. Here's what my network looks like and what I'm trying to accomplish.

I have a few networks but have no control over these directly. I am mainly on the .2 network but have pingable machines on the .3 network. The networks are:

192.168.2.1 / 192.168.3.1 / 192.168.4.1

I have a number of network devices (around 20) I use daily and wish to segregate my devices to their own network away from the .2 using a typical home router. I cannot get this to work properly. I not only need to be able to ping these devices but also ping devices on the .2 the .3 and .4 networks. I am not sure if I should use the routers "gateway" or "router" setting, among others to segregate my devices onto for example a 192.168.10.1 network but also still allow pinging bi-directional between the other networks.

My environment looks like this currently. And I can ping everything currently:

Incoming Ethernet .2 Network > Switch > host PC running VMware Workstation (and all other devices on .2 .3 .4 pingable)

I hope to have this setup:

Incoming Ethernet .2 Network > Router (192.168.10.1?) > Switch > host PC running VMware Workstation (and all other devices pingable from .2 .3 .4 and .10)

Any direction on what to test or try would be so helpful. Thank you.
First question, are all your devices VMs?

Do you want the VMs on different subnets to be able to talk with physical computers?

Do you want to VMs/ physical machines on different subnets reach the internet?

Is your router connected to your modem acting as the core router? or is it a router just sitting on the network with a conection to your core router/modem, normally your ISP router?