trouble with network and laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangeman

Baseband Member
I hope you guys can help me out.

I have a wireless home network which I have been using successfully for the last year with no problems. I have a main computer, a computer in the kitchen, a laptop and a nintendo wii all on this network and all was fine until a couple of months ago. Everything works well on my network except my laptop.

I cannot connect my laptop to my personal network (wireless or wired). I can connect my laptop to other wireless networks in my area with no problems. The trouble is, my other computers can connect to my network ok with no problems, only my laptop cannot.

So where do I start?

I use a program called network magic which makes things simpler to manage on my network. I am using windows xp with latest upgrades. My router is a d-link 108Mbps (wireless and wired both).

I know your problem is regarding wireless, but have you plugged in your laptop wired just to ensure your laptop responds to the wired network card first?

Whenever I trouble shoot anything wirelessly, I start with wired. When wired works, I'll move on to the next step. Jumping right into troubleshooting wireless can be a headache if you don't take the proper steps.

I cannot connect my laptop to my personal network (wireless or wired).

looks like he already tried wired.

It would be interesting to see if you get a 169.x.x.x ip when wired to the router. It has to be something in the router. I would reset it and start over.

If I was to hazard a guess I would think somebody turned on MAC filtering and did not add the MAC addresses for the laptops wired and wireless cards.

I agree with hef. It has to be a router issue. Either your MAC is getting filtered or your DHCP settings have been changed. Resetting the router to default settings will probably fix it, but then you have to secure your network all over again. First thing to try though is a power cycle of the router and cable/DSL modem.

Both wired and wireless did not work. I already powered down/up the router and cable modem.

I was just poking around the settings of the router and I set mac filtering off and that fixed it.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom