Trouble with Internet access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Lihp

Baseband Member
Hey guys, recently stumbled across a strange and very annoying problem, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

I'm using Windows 64bit on my new computer which i've had for nearly 3 weeks now. Up until now, i've had no issues.

I cant access the Internet basically. Although, I can access it using the 64bit internet explorer. There are no issues accessing the internet with any other computers on my network and the LAN works fine.

It seems all my 32bit applications, (from Firefox, to Messenger, to Games.) are incabable of accessing the internet, whereas the 64bit ones are., such as Microsofts 64bit IE.

I've scanned using Avast! Anti Virus, which did find a virus but it was rid of. And the problem still persists. I also wiped the computer clean with Adaware.

Any help in this situation would be great, i'm running out of ideas.

Edit: If it helps, MSN says there is a problem with the DNS and the Key Ports. Everything else is fine (IP, Default Gateway, etc.):umm:

While I am not familiar with any of the details of the 64bit Windows, my hypothesis is that the 32bit applications that you are trying to use aren't compatible.... Before using software, make sure it is 100% compatible.

Microsoft Corp. is currently offering two operating systems compatible with the AMD64 architecture that provide the WOW64 capability. Those operating systems are Windows XP for 64-bit Extended Systems and Windows Server 2003 for 64-bit Extended Systems.

The WOW64 subsystem is a lightweight translation layer that has similar interfaces on all 64-bit versions of Windows. Its primary purpose is to create a 32-bit environment that provides the interfaces required to allow 32-bit Windows apps to run unmodified in the 64-bit system. Technically, WOW64 is implemented using three DLLs: Wow64.dll, which is the core interface to the NT kernel that translates between 32-bit and 64-bit calls, including pointer and stack manipulations; Wow64win.dll, which provides the appropriate entry points for 32-bit apps; and Wow64cpu, which takes care of switching the processor from 32-bit to 64-bit mode.

http://www.devx.com/amd/Article/20342

But it was working fine until a few days ago, so it cant be compatability thats the issue.

I tried a system restore point, and that seems to have fixed it, thankfully. However, whenever I boot windows I have to tell it to "repair" the connection before it works. Wiered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom