Trouble with a DI-524

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desincarnage

Beta member
Okay, let me tell you the situation before I explain the problem.

I used to live with my friend and I connected to Videotron's basic cable internet (600 kbps) with my laptop computer using a DI-524 wireless router. Everything worked fine.

Three weeks ago, I moved to anoher appartment to live with my girlfriend. We signed up with Videotron again for the internet, only this time we're using a faster, 7 mbps cable connection. The internet is working fine when I connect directly to the modem with a cable (proof is I can write that message right now).

I brought back my DI-524 router with me back when we moved and now I try to reconfigure it so it work where I live now. The thing is, no matter what I try, I can't connect to the internet through my router, although I can connect to the router itself. I tried reseting the router back to its original configuration, but no cigar.

I think the problem has something to do with the MAC address, because no matter what I put in there, it keeps saying the MAC address in invalid or in the wrong format. I tried cloning the MAC address and manually entering bot my modem's and ethernet adapter's addresse but it didn't work either. I also know it's written in hexadecimals so I can't have mispelled it.

I'm short of ideas as of what to try. Maybe you can help me?

I think you are right. Your ISP is probably using the MAC adress of your notebook for authentication. Is this cable or DSL. All the cable in my area uses the MAC adress and some dsl. Try calling them ( your isp)

some of the cable ones you have to call to have it changed
then there is this one customer i had that had AOL / DSL and they used the MAC of the pc NIC. The NIC got fried durring a storm, they changed it in the system to the new NIC MAC, then they said do not turn on the pc for 48 hours to let the server discard the old mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom