Trouble connecting to my router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dcore07

Baseband Member
okay so i just received my new router WRT54G ( 802.11g ) and im trying to set it up.

i hardwired the router to my modem and to my pc and when i try and set it up with the set up guide it fails. it always gives me the error that there is no internet connection or activity, even tho im on the net right now typing this message.... its weird.

maybe i didn't connect it right but, all the lights on the router indicate everything is good...

any suggestions?

Call your ISP. That is the best advice we could give you. Sometimes certain modems / ISP's need specific steps followed.

Did you unplug the modem before you hooked up the router? Then plug in the router and then the modem to get them communicating correctly.

Did you unplug the modem before you hooked up the router? Then plug in the router and then the modem to get them communicating correctly.

yes i did that

i opened the default setup page. i synced my MAc adress to my router, it should have worked but it didn't... i do think its part of my ISP... i'll call timewarner

I don't mean it is your ISP in the sense that your Internet is down. Sometimes there are specific configuration steps that must be taken to configure their modems to work with a router. So you can't just 'plug and play' a router. Since you are running into issues after following the setup steps that came with your router, IMO you should call the ISP. They will walk you through the steps and within 5 minutes or so they can get it running for you. Or we could troubleshoot for an hour here, when we aren't sure if you need to bridge the mode/router connection, what the default gateway is, etc.

I don't mean it is your ISP in the sense that your Internet is down. Sometimes there are specific configuration steps that must be taken to configure their modems to work with a router. So you can't just 'plug and play' a router. Since you are running into issues after following the setup steps that came with your router, IMO you should call the ISP. They will walk you through the steps and within 5 minutes or so they can get it running for you. Or we could troubleshoot for an hour here, when we aren't sure if you need to bridge the mode/router connection, what the default gateway is, etc.

I got u the first time. I will call in the morning. Thanks

Interesting i am on Time Warner and have switched my router several times. Never had this issue. Maybe the modem is having connection issues?

Interesting i am on Time Warner and have switched my router several times. Never had this issue. Maybe the modem is having connection issues?

okay so i fixed the problem.

but i have another question.

so i set up a security setting on my network but do i always have to enter the encrypted key to access my network? or can i change it?

If your system wont allow you to save the key then yes you will have to always enter it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom