Trouble accessing certain sites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you running behind a router ?
Are you using IE or Firefox ?
Do they both have the same results while accessing this site ?
Have you renamed your local profile yet ?

*If you rename your local profile and It still doesn't work, It will be narrowed down to a connection issue ( as long as there is NO AV or FW active*

you can try to ping the website!

click Start> Run> CMD and click OK.

then type
ping The URL then enter

Here is a list of sites I cannot access:

#1 is any MSN related site.... msn.com, foxsports.com, msn autos, hotmail.com. These are the key ones because I need to access hotmail.

Two local newspaper sites seem to be blocked (seattle times, seattle post-intellignecer). There have been a few other sites too. In my work, I need these site and just can't get to them.

If I'm inactive on the web for a while I can't get to Google, but that is just a single click. After OKing the pop-up window say I can't access it, I click and it goes right there. Very weird.

As I said before, this is sporadic too. Most of the time a site is inaccessible, but not ALL of the time. Once or twice a day, at a miscellaneous time, I will gain access. There is no logic to this. Again, no virus on the computer. I've looked for anywhere a site could be blocked.

I have no ad blocking software. FireFox rarely has a pop-up window come up. But this problem is present in IE as well. So logically it is not the browser. My computer has AD aware spyware blocking software on it. Might this be causing the problem?

possible next time you cant access a site try to ping it that will tell you if the computer can access it or ifs it software

That could be the problem, depending on what you are running.
You may want to ( for testing sakes )
access your msconfig and select the startup option.
Disable all other than the absolute must have.

Then try it again.

If that doesn't work ...
Rename your local profile.

Here are my answers to Q's above:

MAST3R MIND
QUIZ Score: Coming Soon!

Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Are you running behind a router ? YES
Are you using IE or Firefox ? FireFox mostly but both.
Do they both have the same results while accessing this site ? Problems are the same for each.
Have you renamed your local profile yet ? I don't know what that means (I'm not a high-end techy- sorry)

*If you rename your local profile and It still doesn't work, It will be narrowed down to a connection issue ( as long as there is NO AV or FW active* (You'll have to help me here, that's jargon I just don't understand)

More responses:
you can try to ping the website!

click Start> Run> CMD and click OK.

then type
ping The URL then enter

This looks real scary to me. Up popped one of those programming type windows. I'm afraid if I type the wrong thing I could screw up everything. You'll need to be very specific on this for me to try it. Thanks.

This can be a good test to see if its just a software issue.
Create another admin account on the machine.
Login with that and see if you can access the sites.

OK, I did it. Here is what it spewed out below where I typed:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 207.68.173.254:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)
Approximate roundtrip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:/Documents and Settings\mdz1474.REBOUND

I don't know what all this means, but maybe you do?

the Request timed out. msg means that the computer is unable to send a package to the website
i would have to say that you might want to try connecting without the router

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom