Transparent Proxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abele

Baseband Member
My ISP has a Transparent Proxy setup, on my VDSL connection.
I have had all sorts of problems connecting to Web pages. Web pages that would be considered popular work just fine, but less popular ones, just do not work, which in my ISP's case is most Web sites.

I guess transparent proxies save ISP's lots of money, but is this quickly going to send people to other ISP's.

Downloading files, work most times, but not always. Uploading (yes even simple text like this Post) almost always time out, or freezes up. I have turned off all firewalls, Zonealarm, Windows Fire wall, FireWall in the Router/VDSL, and also turn off all the Internet explorer secuity options, ( some thing that I do NOT do lightly, and have never needed do before) ,and it makes NO difference at all.

Is it possible to get around the proxy? I have heard that it's impossible, to me I just see RED. Or do I ask for a full refund and tell everyone what a sh*t ISP they are.

This just seems like they are Internet Nazi's, out to control what they want you to see.

P.S
I have kept my dial up account,( with a different ISP, which never has have any problems what so ever, in the last 5 years) just in case, and the Web sites are up and running, just not from the VDSL connection. So this post is all using Dial up, because, while VDSL will allow me to view this site, it will not allow me to post to it.

Just for good measure, I have used my other new ( only two weeks old )Notebook and the results have been the same, ( in an attempt to isolate out the problem)

I have limited knowledge in this area, but there is an option in IE to specify your transparent proxy. If a transparent proxy is working correctly, there's no reason why it shouldn't let you do simple things like post in a forum. Try going to: Tools --> Internet Options --> Connections --> LAN Settings --> and select use a proxy server. Now the IP information and port is subject to your ISP. I'd give them a call, and ask them what IP and port you should use for that.

I've setup my own transparent proxy on my home network, and it worked just fine for me.

As far as I understand a IE can not be configured for a Transparent Proxy, IE does not even see it, nor does it need too. Only some programs will be affected, such as games, but most routers/ADSL come preconfigured from the factory with the correct setting for most games, and is not usually a problem, and in any case games do not need proxy servers there is no need.
However IE should never have a problem.

The Question is do I have to accept my ISP sh*t or is there way around it all.

Have a quick read of this
http://www.tcpiq.com/tcpIQ/LineSpeed/Resources/Proxies/

This site explains what a transparent proxy is, in part explains my problem, is there an answer. Because not only is my upload ability zero, but FULL UNLIMITED ACCESS to the web is zero too.

My bad, forgot it was a transparent proxy. You're right IE shouldn't have to be setup to use the internet. The problems you're describing though are reflected upon your ISP. The transparent proxy shouldn't affect games. It should only mess with internet browsing. If you're having problems with games, then your problem is your ISP. You can try this program here, but it sounds like your ISP is just plain screwed up.

Yep, just informed by ISP they get some setting screwed up, and it's working better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom