Transferring Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

voth12

Beta member
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. This is a networking problem in a sense. I need to transfer files from a computer running win98 to a computer running xp. I have the proper networking cable and I have done this before but I'm having trouble getting it to work again. Any help would be great.

Thanks, Terry.

Well, first off, you need two Networking cards, one for each PC. If you already have this, then you either need 1 "crossover" cable to connect from one PC to the other, or you can use two "straight-through" cables and then connect both of the PCs to a hub or switch. Do you know what kind of cable you already have? And do you have any other hardware networking device like a hub or a switch?

-Mike

I have the crossover cable and each computer has a networking card. No hub is involved, just direct connection.

please describe your problem, all you have told us is that it doesn't work which could be anything.

I have enabled file sharing on the folder I need transfered from the PC running win98. I am trying to transfer the folder to the PC running xp but when I go into "my network places" in xp and try to find the host computer I just get errors telling me it cant be found.

Just try to type in the UNC path of the share. In an explorer or internet explorer browser type the path:
\\ComputerName\ShareName
Obviously each of these need to be the computer name of the PC that you are trying to connect to and the share name of the folder you shared.

-Mike

are both computers on the same workgroup (name)?
can you ping each comp from the other?

this problem is usually caused by winXP firewall. try turning it off from the network connection's advanced properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom