transfer files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robertgn

Beta member
I recently purchased a notebook computer with the intentions of being able to transfer files from my PC to the notebook. I have the computers networked and able to do the file sharing thing but is there a way I can merely transfer files/folders from one to the other without sharing?

My not being a computer person I have no idea what "ftp" means could someone please expain and provide a better explanation.

download filezilla - filezilla.sourceforge.net, and upload the files to a web server.

your internet provider must have a website...

Thanks Tall, I went to the suggested website but I see FileZilla 2.2.18 and FileZilla Server 0.9.12c. Which do I want? As stated above "I am not a computer person" and I don't know what you mean by "upload the files to a web server".

Thanks in advance to you or anyone else who can/will offer assistance.
rgn

download the filezilla 2.2.18
i dont know what the server is, so dont download it

when you get into the program, at the very top of the screen, it will have an address, username, and password boxes.

Call your internet provider, and ask them how to setup an account.

Also, some websites offer free web space...

http://geocities.yahoo.com
http://www.ftpx.com/

^^ You can do that, but then your going to have to think about how many files you have to transfer, and think that you internet connection is MANY MANY TIMES SLOWER that your internal LAN. Also, are these files something that you want to be putting on the internet?? Personal / Financial information?

Your best bet is to just share the folders for a few minutes, transfer the files, then unshare.

Honestly, if this is just a one-time transfer, than just use a flash drive or else you're going to have to share the files.

NV

I would seriously just go the crossover route. Just hook up a cross over cable to the two NIC's connect to the other PC's C$ share and bam just copy the data to the new machine. I dont see how you would think uploading to a server then back down would be quicker then a direct transfer? You dont have to do anything more than type in \\oldpc\c$ then enter the credintials of an admin on THAT pc.

Gosh! Now I have really got a lot to go on all I have to do is decide which to do. What Win2kpatcher says about the crossover cable is what I really wanted to do but since I only have one eithernet port on each 'puter I can't figure out how use the crossover cable and hook to the internet also. Any suggestions on this?

THANKS TO ALL---I'm still trying to learn
rgn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom