transfer files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infernicus

In Runtime
im making a new build, can i simply plug a LAN wire from one CPU to another and copy the files? or am i just hoping for it to be too easy =P

as long as you share the folders to be moved then yes, you should be able to do that... just make sure that both sides are open for sharing.

Infernicus said:
im making a new build, can i simply plug a LAN wire from one CPU to another and copy the files? or am i just hoping for it to be too easy =P

Depends what files you speak of.
You cant transfer windows.
You also can't copy over program directories.
Most programs and games need to be installed on the computer you want to use them on. During the installation process values are added to the registry that the program or game needs to run correctly. And those aren't copied to the registry when you copy files.
Now there are some games that don't need to be installed. For example, I have a folder with star trek bridge commander in it. The setup and excutable are both within along with all game files. I can run the game from there or install it if I choose. So I can simply copy that directory to any computerIi want and the game will run Fine without installation.
As for music, documents, videos abd data files you can easily transfer them so long as the directory they are within is set to be shared over a network. Which you set within the properties of that directory.

yea well its music, how do i make it shared then, sorry its a bit noob xD

oh and i only have on VDU etc so can i just plug in my new PC blind and copy it all from my old one, then plug the VDU to my new build?

Dunnue what VDU is.

Also don't know what you mean by blind.

Maybe Im having a brain fart.

Click the folder you want to share. (Right Click)Properties>Sharing>Learn more about Sharing And Security, uncheck make the folder private,> Click the Blue highlighted text under sharing>Just enable sharing>Share this folder over a network.

It may be different for your version but thats how I did it just now on my labtop so I could give you an example.

no monitor, visual display unit

so can i simply plug a box with a LAN wire and copy paste it into the other drive?

You can, but you will need to first do what I said on the computer with the files. Then while both computers are on, attach the moniter to the PC you want the files on. Then you can access the shared folder and copy the files over.

Once the settings are applied a moniter is not needed for that Pc.

I was gonna make a graphical guide (with screenshots) until I realized my Windows is in Spanish :p. Ah well. I ended up googling a guide: Windows XP Folder Sharing. Just follow the directions under "Simple File Sharing" (default on WinXP Pro).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom