traffic shaping...

Status
Not open for further replies.

derekrules

Solid State Member
right guys i need your help on this one.

i am a victim of traffic shaping (pipex homecall broadband) and its driving me insane. between 5pm-11pm i can't get on any games at all! so i wan to to change isp but...

im living with parents and dad gets to make all these choices :freak:. when ever i ask him to change isp or tell him that our isp is NOT good i get "well it works fine for me".
well of course it works fine for him, he leaves his laptop on all day every day downloading movies and a bunch of other crap. This is serverely affecting the rest of the family and it needs to be stopped! everytime when he aint around i would kick him off the internet via the router but thats still not changing things.

well here is where you guys come in :) , i would like to know whether if i could do some 'traffic shaping' of my own. i want to limit the bandwidth going to my dads laptop and increase all the other computers.

i would like to do this via a small simple program if thats possible. currently my network consists of a belkin wireless router, a home desktop, and 3 laptops.

the point of this is A. to persuade my dad to change isp, and B. to increase speed for everyone else on this network.

all help will be appreciated ;)

Your best bet will be to try to ask your father to do his downloading at night, when the rest of the family is in bed.

Personally, if someone was doing this on my network, I would just take away their access in the router, but not allowing their MAC address to connect to the router. However, given the situation, this wouldn't be a wise decision for you, as your father would probably not allow you to use the network anymore. Unless you have a quality, enterprise type router that allows traffic shaping, you would have to do this through software on the laptop, again, not advisable....

So, in brief, your options are to reason with your father, get your own ISP account and set it up so that only YOU get access to it, or 3, continue with your guerilla warefare tactics, and possibly get burned in the future...

So, in brief, your options are to reason with your father, get your own ISP account and set it up so that only YOU get access to it, or 3, continue with your guerilla warefare tactics, and possibly get burned in the future...

haha, its all good, my father is completely computer illiterate so i manage all the networking and stuff. i use the mac address filtering to kick him out when he's not around:D.

oh well, i guess i'll just have to live with it...
i didnt know you could have 2 different ISPs on the same phone line, would that work? how would the router handle this?

Well, you can't have 2 on the SAME phone line, but you COULD get a SECOND phone line with a secondary ISP on that line (provided there is another DSL service in the area, and also that you are 18 years old to be able to order it).

If you do this, when you call the telco for the 2nd line, request just a CORE LINE, no long distance or caller ID or call waiting for 'fancy fluff', just the line THATS IT, it will be a little cheaper.... Also, depending on your distance from the serving CO, or neighborhood gateway, it is possible that the service will be about the same as your current ISP. Is there cable available in your area?

na no cable, its a shame really.

but anyways i didnt want it to get that complicated lol, im moving out in my 2nd or 3rd year of uni anyways. so i'll proabaly either persuade him to change or live with it for another half a year or so...

all-in-all, thanks for your help.

off tpoic: this traffic shaping tactic is getting pretty rediculous no? surely isps arn't allowed to do that, its like a lamborgini salesman selling u a brand new gallardo and then saying "nope, your not gonna be going over 100, we're lending your engine to another customer so he can go faster... dont worry, we'll give u it back between the times of 12am and 7am so its all good" lol i know not quite but you know what i mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom