Totally Lost and in need of help

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwcooley51

Beta member
Well I am totally lost and in need of some help. Hopefully someone out there will be able to read this and be able to help me solve this problem.

I am connected to the internet with Wildblue Satellite Internet. My connection comes in and goes from my Wildblue modem to a Linksys WRT54G v5 router. I have a total of 4 computers hooked to this router with cable, none wireless. My problem is only on ONE computer, the one I am typing this up with. Here is my problem:

I can connect to the internet and that is about it. I can't use MSN messenger, I can't use any type of sharing programs (like Shareaza, etc, etc) I can't log in to any online games, I can't download certain types of programs, such as directx. I went to microsoft's website and tried to download the newest version and my computer won't connect and allow me to download it. Any application that you basically have to connect to, to run, I can't do it.

I went to my command prompt and tried to ping everything. The only thing that pingged with success was my Linksys NC100 Fast ethernet adapter. I could not ping my IP address, I could not ping my gateway, I can't ping ANY websites either by name or IP address.

I have reset my router. I have even gone as far as to reset my TCP/IP. I have disabled and then enabled my ethernet connection. I have gone and made sure that my windows internal firewall is not active.

What baffles me the most is the fact that this is the only computer that is having these problems. The other three I have, have no problems at all getting on MSN, online games or anything. It is just this ONE, mine. I have even gone and disconnected one of the other computers and hooked this one up to their line and still, the same problems. This leads me to think somehow there are some settings off on my computer. But I have no idea which ones or how to fix them or even if this is the problem.

Can ANYONE out there help me???

You said you can connect to the Internet but you can't ping your default gateway? That really doesn't make any sense, because if you can't ping the default gateway you won't be able to connect to the Internet or any network outside of yours. From what you're telling me, it sounds like a cable problem or the network card.

Can you ping 127.0.0.1?

I agree, it doesn't make any sense to me at all. I can ping 127.0.0.1 with no problems. I type ipconfig and get my ip address and I can't ping that at all. I try and ping the default gateway and that also fails. I can go to www.yahoo.com with no problems, but when I go to my command prompt and try to ping it, it fails. Same with any other website. I can easily go there and view the page, but I can't ping it. I didn't ever even consider that it could be a cable problem though. That would make sense if it was just a bad cable. Like I said earlier, I have 4 computers on the same network and 3 of them work fine. Each are hooked up with cables, it is just this ONE (mine) that is having problems. I will check the cable.

Thanks for the reply.

The only thing I can think of right now is that the echo response when you send an echo reply is being filter by some application on that machine. Do you have any other firewall/security/anti-virus/anti-spyware application running that you didn't mention?

Open up command prompt and type route print and paste the result. To copy and paste from command prompt just right click on the window of the command prompt and select mark then highlight the texts to copy and press enter.

And by the way, did you manually assign the IP and DNS on this computer and the other or is it assigned from the router's DHCP server?

At this point, I really don't think it's a cable problem or else you wouldn't even be able to access the Internet. Actually at this point I'm really confused.

Well thank you SO much for your replies and your help. When you asked me about any other anit-virus program I decided to try something. I went and removed it. I had eTrust installed but it is so anoying I had disabled all of it (I thought). You could do msconfig and look at the start up items and it was not there. You could do ctrl-alt-del and check running programs and it was not there running. I guess when I installed it, it changed some settings or something. I went and un-installed it and all my problems have gone away. Amazing. . . .

Thanks again for the responses!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom