Is this too much to ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingtag1445

Solid State Member
My internet (DSL) was working very well, speedy, downloads were nice, etc, and then all of a sudden, about 2 weeks ago it just basically slowed down to just barely better than dial-up. I didn't download anything at that time, I didn't install anything new, I took my computer to someone's house (LAN Party) then came back home. My computer did get knocked over..... and everything seems to be a lot slower which really ****es me off because i spent a lot of money on this. What I have noticed though is that when things run slower the light on the front of the tower glows like it is "thinking" and does so for a while, ive learned to live with the slower programs but the light never shows up when surfing the web. Also, at certain times of the day, it fluctuates, my internet is lightning fast and then at other times it is as slow as malasis. The question I have is this, What could i do/what might be wrong with my computer, i know there are probably 100000 things but maybe a top 5 would be good.

Do you have any other hosts on your home LAN?
Is this host wired or wireless?
Is the slowness only to certain pages, or is it everything?
Have you run a spyware/adware check on the PC?
The issue with the light is that it is probably the HDD activity light... how hard was the fall when the computer fell over.... might have slightly damaged the HDD.

I am the only host, the router is connected directly to my computer but sends out a wireless signal that my mom's computer, upstairs, uses. It seems to be an overall slowness. No spyware or adware running according to Ad-aware and Spydoctor. The fall wasnt very hard, it was sitting straight up and got knocked over.

wep can be broken. run the command line and type in net view. if you see any computers other than yours and your moms than your bandwidth is being stolen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom