too many connections to this pc error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HudsonSpeeder

Beta member
Hello to all,

I am not a programmer , nor a tech wiz , but I do the "network" setup within our business. We are presently running 26 pc's ALL running win98 SE.(manufacturer of our product will not run there software on anything else). We have recently setup a messaging program in which one pc becomes the server and all the others become clients. All pc's have mapped drives connected to the shared folder on the "server" which holds all the messages. The problem is that often we get an error saying there are already too many connections connected to the "server". When I reboot the "server" it's ok for sometimes a day or more. Then the same error. Please be informed that the "server" is not really a server it's just a regular client networked which is serving the messages.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks to all

Windows 98 has a known problem with a limit on the number of simultaneous connections. If you need to use windows, you'll have to upgrade to fix this problem. There isn't a way to work around this one that I know of.

not running SQL, are you? depending on what ver of SQL, you have a set number of connections. if you have a program not releasing its SQL connection after use, it will eventually reject anymore connections. Since win98 has a set number of connections, this maybe a similar case, too.

MDAC installed

Hi Guys,

First thanks for the replies. I did check , we also have a "BROWSE" control installed which uses "Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.60.6526.3 English" which is SQL. If I understand correctly I think I should at least upgrade my "server" to win2000 or XP. What do you think?

Thanks again for your help, it's really appreciated.

um, check your SQL version. also, get a monitoring program that tells how many SQL connections are on each system. some SQL versions will allow only a certain amount, say 4, connections. may need a high end user version of SQL. make sure that the they are releasing the connection with the host when not being used, as the cheaper versions of SQL only ONLY a set limit of connections. Here at work, we have SQL 6.5 that allows only 4 connections.... course have it on several boxes so its usualy 9 boxes with 4 connections per box. If there is a blowout in the program code and it doens't release its connection, it will get a to many connection error and we have to restart the project so it releases the connections. We have the corp ver/enterprise?? ver of SQL 2000... that has a #@$ load of connections. Not sure how many, we have hit a limit yet. Hope that helps.

If I am not mistaken you are limited to 10 connections on any workstation computer at 1 time....I could be wrong on this but I see this all the time with 2000 and xp...

3 suggestions (*all free!!!!!!*)

1. linux - no limit on connections
2. samba - so your windows boxes can see it
3. WINE - maybe your "server" app will run with it?

HudsonSpeeder said:
All pc's have mapped drives connected to the shared folder on the "server" which holds all the messages. The problem is that often we get an error saying there are already too many connections connected to the "server". When I reboot the "server" it's ok for sometimes a day or more.

Originally posted by Justin95zltIf I am not mistaken you are limited to 10 connections on any workstation computer at 1 time....I could be wrong on this but I see this all the time with 2000 and xp...

HudsonSpeeder,

Here is what is going on, it looks like you are running your network as a workgroup. Regardless of what MS operating system (Win9x, ME, 2k, XP) you are limited to 10 concurrent connections.

In other words, your 26 computers far exceed the 10 PC limit so after the first 10 computers connect to the Windows 98 workstation, the computer blocks any other connections.

What you should suggest or do is setup a Domain Environment instead of a workgroup environment. If you want to know a little more about domains vs workgroups, you can go here for a quick brush up.

Where are you located? (City/State)

Sorry Hudson. I thought only Win9x had that problem. Didn't know that 2k and XP did too.

sorry, actually it was a 5 connection limit. they are on seperate boxes that speak to the SQL 2000 which has umpteen connections. we use developers type of edition on the boxes (guess cheaper and not so many connections needed per box anyhow IF the boxes release the connection like they're supposed to). yeah 6.5 talking with 2000. that was a ***** to get working right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom