Today is the day...

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
Today is the day I find out if I will be getting 4 megabit cable. Wish me luck, because if this doesn't go my way, who knows how long I'll be stuck on 9600 bps.

VICone said:
9600 bps is for the birds, good luck

/me crosses fingers

9600 bps sucks so bad that I've had a hard time dealing with it going from 256k. Its because these phone lines where I live are so old. Know that I am not on 9600 bps by choice. If this doesn't go my way today, I will be looking into DirecWay satellite. 56k is horrible, but as terrible as it is, its very tolerable compared to 9600 bps.

I have recieved bad news. I live just too far in the middle of nowhere for cable. It looks like I am stuck with 9600 bps for the time being. :( :( :(

What about satilite? I know the upload would still be dial up but the down stream would be nice. Maybe this is an option?

s0me0ne said:
What about satilite? I know the upload would still be dial up but the down stream would be nice. Maybe this is an option?

Yes, that is my next option. Direcway has 2-way satellite now that doesn't require dial-up, which makes it much nicer. It runs at 512/128. Its very pricy though....I would have been way better off to have not written the BBB about my fixed wireless...then I would still have it.

Ive got a cusemer who has wireless and Im pretty impressed. The weather has almost 0 effect on it and the uptime on the connection is almost 100%. Its not bad....if youve got the cash.

s0me0ne said:
Ive got a cusemer who has wireless and Im pretty impressed. The weather has almost 0 effect on it and the uptime on the connection is almost 100%. Its not bad....if youve got the cash.

I had wireless and it was great at first, but the service progressively got slower and eventually I started losing my connection for a few seconds about every 5 minutes. So I complained and nothing was done about it, in fact, it kept getting worse. So I then contacted the BBB, and my wireless ISP came and pulled my service.

IF you can get cable, I think you will be very happy. I am going through Comcast, and I have never lost a connection in the year I have had it, and I gets speeds sometimes at 6Mbps on a good day, most of the time its around 2-3Mbps. I only get 256kbps Up though. In my opinion DSL sucks, and I will never get it again. After two years of Qwest lieing to us, I finally got them to admit that the line my house was running off was bad and was giving the entire area problems. I almost went with wireless, but the speed was slower than I wanted, and satalite is usually more expensive than all of them. At least around here its like $90 a month for DSL speeds. Supposedly here in Utah, there laying Fiber Optic lines, and building a huge network across central and northern Utah. Its called UTOPIA or something, anyway I have a friend living in a small city to the north, where the lines have already been layed, and hes getting 20Mbps Up and Down, for less than I pay for my cable line. The only bad thing is, there is hardly a server on the net anywhere that will run a line that fast. :) I have heard about other cities doing that as well.

This thing is is I live on a farm in the middle of no where with my hillbilly parents. Cable or DSL don't exist out here. Satellite or fixed wireless are my only options, and I've lost my fixed wireless, so I will have to go with satellite. I would give anything to be able to get cable. Right now on 9600bps, it takes me 45 minutes to download 1MB, while you all lucky dogs and get 1MB in like 5 seconds or less. So when I get a steady job, I will be looking at satellite, because although its not as good as cable, it beats the snot out of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom