Three computers, two printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ailurophile

Beta member
I've got three computers: an HP desktop running 7 SP1 (main), a Dell desktop running XP SP3 and a Toshiba laptop also running 7 SP1. I have two printers: a Lexmark all-in-one and an HP inkjet.
The two printers are connected to the main HP desktop via a powered 4-port USB hub. But the HP is the only computer of the three that will print.
I installed the XP versions of the drivers on the Dell XP desktop, and the printers are shared, as are the drives of all three computers.
The two desktops share the AT&T U-Verse gateway/router via cables, and of course the Toshiba laptop gets its WiFi signal from the same source.
I'm tired of copying files to the HP desktop then printing from there. I want to print from all three computers directly. I know it's possible, I just don't know where the problem is.
:hrmph:
And I'm the only user, so I can't compare another person's settings, and there are no user conflicts.

Make sure that the printers are being shared by clicking on start, "Devices and Printers", right-click the printer and click "Printer properties". Click on the Sharing tab and verify that "Share this printer" is checked and there's a share name. Also, check the box next to "Render print jobs on client computers" if it's not checked.

Now check the ip address of the PC (HP computer) that the printer is connected to via "ipconfig" in command prompt. Once you have your ip address, go to the other computers and click on "Run" (for windows xp) or go to the search bar (win 7) and type \\ip address of the hp computer.

So if the IP address of the HP computer is 192.168.1.13, type \\192.168.1.13. A folder should come up with the list of shared devices. Right click on the printer and click "Connect". It'll prompt you about downloading drivers. Click yes then you should be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom