Thinking bout majoring Computer Network Technology...

Status
Not open for further replies.

droolander

Beta member
Hey, Im thinking about getting into Computer Network Technology major. I'd like to say I know a decent amount bout computers. I was wondering if someone could exchange emails with me to help me get the feel of it a little bit more. Is it a hard thing to learn? Is it easy to get a job? How is it like working? Etc etc. I'd like to email people that actually done the job or know someone that's done the job instead of just reading a whole bunch of things online. (which does help too but just prefer exchanging emails so when i have a question i could get an answer right away) please dont be shy!! =)

TYVM!

It's really rewarding. Let me say something about training and certification. When I started in the computer field when I went for a job interview , which usually was with an agency...they gave you atest..there ws no computer related questions...stuff like a square that you could see three sides that had designs and you had to pick from some choices what the 4th side would look like judging from the three sides you could see, a lot of math more probablility questions. A lot has changed since then. I have seen businesses that have one or two PC or network jobs get faxes (resumes) that spilled out of the machine and onto the floor...probably twice as many emails. The Human resources are not going to spend there time looking through 300+ resumes. They get subordinates that probably know nothing about IT look through the resume's for certification and past experience...where they look for the alphabet soup..MCSE , MCP , MCSA, CCNA CNET ...etc ...those will get you an interview, Knowing more than what is in the books is the key, it will also help to keep a job. Everyone I know that was really good was self taught. I am not a big fan of the 90 day cert classe, IMO they are expensive , go too fast. If you can take College level computer science that would be the best. Outside of that I would set up a home network. Microsoft offers 180 day trials of their server software also ISA server ( something worth learning too) you can also get virtual machines too if you do not want to or space is limited for two or three PC.s. Don't forget about Cisco too. Ebay you can get Cisco 2950 swithces for $30 and Cisco routers ( make sure not to get the really old 10base T hardware). You can buy studdy materials. I like transcender for test prep...then you need just the how to books and when you are ready you can take your certification tests. The tests cost around $100 to take and they have do-overs if you bomb, are timed and a little nerve wracking the first few times. The best way to approach is go through and answer all the questions you can and then go back and do the rest. I am sure you will do good in your new career and hope to see you in the cubicle on the other side real soon.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! i am planning to go to get an associates for it in a community college. it will prob. take me about a year and half to actually get certified (suppose to take two years but i've taken some of the classes already.) thanks for the advice...i will ask more questions when it comes up! TYVM

I am 4 courses away from getting my Assoc. in Computer Technology myself. It's been 5 years taking two classes a semester and working a full time job but I feel that it is worth it to add to my resume along with the job I just got which is using CATIA in electrical design. 2D and 3D modeling, which is fancy talk for graphics intensive layouts to create blueprints.

Although I have age "against" me, it was what I had done thus far that helped me get my current job and hope to get my Bachelor's possibly some day. A long haul, but I have over20 more years to work so I figured what the hey ?

It's really rewarding. Let me say something about training and certification. When I started in the computer field when I went for a job interview , which usually was with an agency...they gave you atest..there ws no computer related questions...stuff like a square that you could see three sides that had designs and you had to pick from some choices what the 4th side would look like judging from the three sides you could see, a lot of math more probablility questions. A lot has changed since then. I have seen businesses that have one or two PC or network jobs get faxes (resumes) that spilled out of the machine and onto the floor...probably twice as many emails. The Human resources are not going to spend there time looking through 300+ resumes. They get subordinates that probably know nothing about IT look through the resume's for certification and past experience...where they look for the alphabet soup..MCSE , MCP , MCSA, CCNA CNET ...etc ...those will get you an interview, Knowing more than what is in the books is the key, it will also help to keep a job. Everyone I know that was really good was self taught. I am not a big fan of the 90 day cert classe, IMO they are expensive , go too fast. If you can take College level computer science that would be the best. Outside of that I would set up a home network. Microsoft offers 180 day trials of their server software also ISA server ( something worth learning too) you can also get virtual machines too if you do not want to or space is limited for two or three PC.s. Don't forget about Cisco too. Ebay you can get Cisco 2950 swithces for $30 and Cisco routers ( make sure not to get the really old 10base T hardware). You can buy studdy materials. I like transcender for test prep...then you need just the how to books and when you are ready you can take your certification tests. The tests cost around $100 to take and they have do-overs if you bomb, are timed and a little nerve wracking the first few times. The best way to approach is go through and answer all the questions you can and then go back and do the rest. I am sure you will do good in your new career and hope to see you in the cubicle on the other side real soon.

i jus talked to a friend bout computer networking tech. he's done all of the classes...and all he has to do is jus take the certification. he told me that when he passed the class...the instructor sat down with him and told him to get the cisco book...and study that if u want to pass the certification. because what you've learned in class will not be on the certification test. He pretty much told me to go ahead and just study it urself by getting a cisco book and do the practice and virtual cd that they provide. I dont like self teaching myself in a way. i'd rather go to school and learn it b/c i have a beter understanding i suppose? lol idk it's weird. But he did also recommended to take some cisco classes at school, and get into network security tech. it's pretty much the same thing. give me your opinion. THANKS!

I think that would be great route for you.
Back in 2006 I took Comptia A+ and networking+.
I failed the class at least 2 times before graduating, part of it had to do with building ethernet cables the other part was complex network topology.
But in the end Augusta Tech gave me a certification certificate and associates degree stating I am now able to do new entry level networking.

Go for your network + certification first and see how you fair out.
Chances are if you pass the class and the exam without retaking it thats automatic certification for you right there.

I think that would be great route for you.
Back in 2006 I took Comptia A+ and networking+.
I failed the class at least 2 times before graduating, part of it had to do with building ethernet cables the other part was complex network topology.
But in the end Augusta Tech gave me a certification certificate and associates degree stating I am now able to do new entry level networking.

Go for your network + certification first and see how you fair out.
Chances are if you pass the class and the exam without retaking it thats automatic certification for you right there.

THANKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom