Is there an easy remote desktop solution from separate LANs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I've been finding a lot of relatives are calling me with the most basic computer questions. The kind of thing that to explain to them to navigate to change the settings would take a fair chunk of time. I'd rather have the ability to remote in and just do my thing. But I'm not sure what this entails and I don't want to jeopardize whatever security they have to the public with a target on their forehead indirectly yelling "hack me hack me!"

I run Ubuntu Linux 8.10 64 bit as well as Vista Ultimate.. if I could get this to work in Ubuntu it'd be sweet. Otherwise, I'd be happy with Vista too.

Is there a way I can just have the client install a VNC package and tell me certain numbers and I can hook it all up on my end and BAM, done?

If they are on the computer you can have them start a remote assistance session and you can log on with them.

Did you check google.......

The oracle says yes........ linux client remote desktop - Google Search

Hmm, just had a thought thought, for remote desktopo, you need Pro on the computer being accessed... un,less done through request help thingy.

Ahh, I used rdesktop before. I completely forgot about it.

My only question is... can I connect using rdesktop to a computer that's... say... in another state..?

I do it to another country (Remote Desktop). The only issue would be walking your family through the port forward.

With assistance they can see what you are doing and hopefully learn. I do a skype, RA combo and it is pretty nice.

Is there a way I can just have the client install a VNC package and tell me certain numbers and I can hook it all up on my end and BAM, done?

Single Click - UltraVNC: Remote Support Software, Remote Support tool,Remote Desktop Control, Remote Access Software, PC Remote Control

UltraVNC SC is a mini (166k) UltraVNC Server that can be customized and preconfigured for download by a Customer. UltraVNC SC does not require installation and does not make use of the registry. The customer only have to download the little executable and Click to make a connection. The connection is initiated by the server, to allow easy access thru customers firewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom