TCP Ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

SypherZ28

Beta member
Is there such thing as one port being able to perform better than another as far as data transfer is concerned? Several programs I have used allow you to change the TCP port that it operates through but I do not understand why it truly matters.. Any help is greatly thanked..

Programs allow you to change the port for personal and possibly business security. All ports "act" the same. However, If I know that you have pcAnywhere installed on your computer and waiting for a user to remote control your computer then I'd know that the default ports for pcAnywhere are 5631 and 5632 and all I would need is an external IP address for your network and I could do some damage to your computer and/or Local Network. If you install a program that allows you to change the default port it uses, by all means.....change it. You have up to 65,000+ ports you can use.

SypherZ28 said:
So pretty much the port issue is only for security purposes and pretty much nothing more?

The ports are there for use, your typical person might not have a need for all of those ports but when you think about an enterprise level organization, they will need that flexibility.

The data throughput is the same for all of the ports, and the main reason you would change between ports is for security or making adjustments for web content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom